Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kentucky Derby Pie

I am so excited to tell you that the next state for our Fifty States Project is Kentucky!  The Kentucky Derby is this weekend and we are getting ready for the big event.  We kicked off the state of Kentucky with homemade Derby Pie.



Here is the recipe we used:

1 unbaked pie crust - you can make your own favorite pie crust or use the store bought variety

Filling: 
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. bourbon or vanilla extract
  • 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
  • 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1.  Mix together sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, salt, and either the bourbon or extract
2.  Stir in pecans and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon
3.  Pour filling into prepared, unbaked pie crust (this is a sticky pie so make sure you flour both sides of your crust before putting it in your pie plate if you use the store bought variety


4.  Bake on the middle rack of a 375 degrees preheated oven for 45-50 minutes  (do not overbake; the top should be firm but the center should remain ooey gooey!)
5.  Let rest for at least two hours before you cut the pie!
6.  Enjoy with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (butter pecan would be good too! yum!).

5 comments:

Susana said...

I make this every year around Christmas time but just didn't know it was called Derby Pie--LOVE it!

Looking forward to seeing what else you do for Kentucky. I know it will be over the top:-).

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great stuff! its super good!!! you have to make outrageous hats for you and R to wear on derby day :)

Kentucky will be a fun state to do!

Brimful Curiosities said...

My dad would love to have a piece...loves pecan pie.

Ticia said...

Man, if I had thought about it I could have started that now. Looks yummy, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Boy, I know that I will be struggling with States studies a lot more than I do with country hops. I know what Kentucky Derby is, but I have never before heard of Derby Pie. It sounds very yummy.