Monday, April 12, 2010

Rose's Garden


Rose's Garden by Peter H. Reynolds was inspired by and dedicated to the late Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, mother of Senator Ted Kennedy and President John F. Kennedy. 

Rose travels the world in a teapot, collecting seeds along the way.  When her teapot is full, she decides to plant a garden.  She waits and waits and waits for her garden to grow, but nothing happens.  Word spread of Rose's faith in her garden, and children from all over the world began bringing her paper flowers for her garden.  Before long, she had a colorful garden filled with thousands of  paper flowers, and then real flowers began to grow.

This book is a beautiful story of nature, beauty, and faith, as well as the spirit of community.  Every once in a while, I come across a book for children that melts my heart; this is one of those books.

After reading this book multiple times, R made her own paper flower with scrunched tissue paper in the center.  I drew and cut out the flower shape.  I also cut out the leaves and the stem.  R glued the stem and leaves, colored the flower, and scrunched the tissue paper before she glued it to the center of her flower.



10 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

you do the cutest flower and garden crafts :)

i'll have to check our library to see if we have that book

Michelle said...

This is such a cute project. I agree you have been doing the cutest flower and garden crafts!!!

Ticia said...

oh that is so cute. You can make a veritable garden on your walls of your flower projects.
Maybe if the kids and I do some flower projects we'll finally get flowers in our garden.....

Miller Moments said...

I think this sounds like a book I would like! Rose Kennedy fascinated me.

Amy said...

Cute craft. I'll have to see if we have that book at our library!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

The book sounds so interesting. I agree - you make great flower projects. Anna brought a very similar flower from school last week - they had a gardening theme.

Jen said...

-sounds adorable! I'll add it to my book list.

Creative and Curious Kids!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

This is so sweet! Peter H. Reynolds is one of our favorite authors!! Love R's craft project... so cute!! :-)

Peter H. Reynolds said...

I am honored... thank you for sharing my work - I love R's flower! That is exactly the kind of "rippling" I had hoped for...

Keep planting seeds!

And again - THANK YOU!

Peter H. Reynolds

Susana said...

This really sounds like a sweet book I would love to read with Joe. Thanks for another great book:-)!

R's flower craft is precious, she did a super job.