Friday, April 2, 2010

Counting Eggs


R needed some work on 1:1 counting; she often counts the same object twice or skips over objects.  I think this is pretty common for her age, but I try to take every opportunity to count with her.  I found some glitter egg stickers at Dollar Tree and decided to use them to give her some practice.  We also used unlined index cards and number stamps.

First, I asked R to line up the number stamps in order from 0 to 9.



Then, I had her stamp one number on each index card.


Finally, I asked R to put the correct number of glittery egg stickers on the back of each card.


The counting got more difficult for her around seven, but I reminded her to only touch each egg once and to only say one number for each egg she touched.  The more we practiced with her new counting cards, the better she did with the 1:1 counting.  R really enjoyed this, so I will have to buy some more stickers!

How do you practice 1:1 counting? 

*Every time I post something about 1:1 counting, I get questions about what that actually means.  It is just a way of saying that a child can connect the concrete number (the 10 egg stickers on the index card) with the symbolic representation of the number (the stamped number on the other side). 

8 comments:

danita said...

the pea was having such trouble with this (he's 4 and a half now) and i read in peggy kaye's games for learning (fantastic book, btw) that you should count everything! so, for a solid two months, that's what we did. we'd be reading a book, i'd stop and say, how many white clouds, how many pigs, how many flowers, etc. we'd be eating snack, how many grapes, how many goldfish,etc. it worked! he can now count up to 100 with a bit of assistance, but solidly up to 49! i'm so proud! we also count in the car--how long till this light turns green, let's count! or, let's take turns counting, things like that!

Anonymous said...

that is a great activity! those egg stickers are so cute and pretty! Love the stamps!

you did a great job at explaining it too.

Gidget loves counting everything and yep some times she will count something twice, it is very common at this age:)

Ticia said...

Hmmmm..... We just count a lot. We'll use a die with dots. We use blocks. Stamps and stickers, like you did.
Now, I need to work with them on sequencing.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I agree with previous comments. We count A LOT. No matter how fun the activity, repetition is a real key here. We also discussed some counting strategies - like counting the same way we read - from left to right and from top to bottom. It helps her keep the visual focus when the number of objects gets bigger, but she usually still gets lost somewhere around 10 or 12, because she counts faster than she moves her finger to the next object. So we are learning to slow down when counting too.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Great idea! Emily started to grasp this concept when I told her to count pieces of candy. Kids will do just about anything for candy!!

The Mom I Want To Be said...

When counting items on a page you can have the child use transparent bingo chips to see which items they have already counted. It helps them to develop a method for scouring the page.

Susana said...

I really, really like this activity!

I hope I remember this when I'm ready for it with Jack.

You have the best ideas for learning and crafting.

teachmama said...

love this idea, Christy! I have to do more of this with Cora...
:*)