Friday, April 9, 2010

Fifty States Project - Vermont


Our next state for the Fifty States Project is Vermont.  For this state study, we are reading:

M is for Maple Syrup, A Vermont Alphabet by Cynthia Furlong Reynolds - I love this series of books.  We only read the simple fact that follows each letter of the alphabet, but the longer text explaining how each fact is significant is great for older children.  We will definitely revisit this series as my children get older.

From Maple Trees to Maple Syrup by Kristin Thoennes Keller - This is a great book for young children to learn about how maple syrup is made.

Maple Syrup Season by Ann Purmell - This fictional book follows a family through maple syrup season.  At the end of the book, there is information about the legends of how maple syrup was discovered, and there is a maple syrup glossary.

To learn more about our Fifty States Project, click here to read about our method of learning about our beautiful country.

7 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

vermont what a fun state to do i hear it is so pretty! y ummy real maple syrup :) i'm hugry for pancakes now :)

Ticia said...

I'm thinking all about pancakes now too, and thinking about yummy maple syrup.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like Sleeping Bear books "in principle", but Anna is never content with missing any printed words, and a lot of sidebar information is way over her head. So I think we'll try them again when she is older. I bet the kids will see pancakes with maple syrup soon :)

Karen Wilson said...

Eat some Ben & Jerry's!

Jenny said...

How cool! I used some of your ideas from you Florida study this week!

Susana said...

LOL as I read a certain one of your comments:-)!! Sorry I'm not so analytical in my comments!

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with Vermont. I know it will be super creative and fun!

Laura said...

I just love your 50 states study. I have something similar in mind for this summer...so that my girls don't waste away! :o)