Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tree Identification


Do you know the names of the trees in your own backyard?  I don't.  I am a bit embarrassed about this and I am going to do something about it!  We are currently participating in The Great Outdoor Challenge hosted by 5 Orange Potatoes.  The challenge is easily met just by spending time outside every day for the month of April.  I am hoping to add a little learning to our outdoor time and one of the things we are going to do is identify the trees in our yard.



This is my favorite tree in our yard.  I love the color, the peeling bark, and the multiple trunks.


We moved into this house around Thanksgiving, and I am not sure what the leaves of the tree will look like yet.  I searched the Arbor Day Foundation website to attempt to identify the tree.  Without knowing exactly what the leaves look like, my best guess right now is that this is a River Birch tree.


I originally thought it was a Paper Birch, but because the bark is cinnamon colored rather than white, it appears to be a River Birch.  I am excited to see what the leaves look like to confirm my guess.

While outside, R, C, and I made some observations about this tree.  We noted the color, the rough patches, and the peeling bark.  We touched the tree and even tried to make a crayon rubbing.


R and I drew pictures of the tree.  Here is R's drawing:


This is my drawing:


R even tried to teach the tree to hula hoop!

What are your outdoor plans for the day?  Head over to 5 Orange Potatoes and join the fun!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great tree identification i LOVE that tree! :)

I think its a great daily meme and hope to do it to some.

Love R hula hooping for the tree.

looks like you guys had lots of fun and learned too along the way.

your tree drawing is really good! i bet that is a hard tree to draw :)

Annette W. said...

That is a beautiful tree! I love birch.

I appreciate that you lead by example with your drawing!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I want to join the Outdoor Challenge too. Does driving to work qualify as spending time outside? I am curious what your tree turns out to be - it looks great. Now I am challenged to figure out our trees too. And I am impressed on how well R can hula hoop.

Ticia said...

That is a gorgeous birch tree. I'm going to head over to your tree id site.

Jenny said...

LOL about teaching the tree to hula hoop!

Thanks for the link to the Arbor Day Foundation. We have to remove a tree in our front yard and I want to know what kind it was. I also want to look up what kind I want to replace it with.

Rebecca said...

This seems so cool! And dont worry, i am clueless about types of trees as well! But have always wanted to know so i can teach my kids. So thank you so much! There is probably a good kid-friendly book out there about tree types...

SnoWhite said...

This is awesome! I'm happy that you are going to learn about the trees in your yard. I teach college students who have no idea what trees are around them.

I found your blog from a comment you left about Rachael Ray on another food blogger's blog. I am wondering if you might be able to point me to your pumpkin and sausage pasta recipe of hers that you enjoy?! Thanks.

Amy said...

I'm stuck inside at school today, while my kids are fishing in an empty pond behind our house. (empty of fish, not of water). Trees can be fascinating.. A group of trees that grow along the banks of a river by my house EACH drink gallons and gallons of water PER DAY! I can't remember how much, but I remember being shocked!

Susana said...

I love birch trees. They are so pretty.

This outdoor challenge looks really fun. I hope y'all have a great time doing it!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

It is a beautiful tree, and I think you're right about it being a River Birch tree. Very pretty!