Thursday, April 1, 2010

Rainy Day Fun


We had a rain day this week.  The streets were so flooded, that schools were closed.  The governor even declared a state of emergency and asked people to stay home.  This picture is a corner of our back yard, and it got worse!

My goal for the day was simply to prevent the kids from fighting!  There was a tiny bit of fighting, but for the most part, everyone was happy.

C loves Kumon books.  He made a zoo with pages from his Kumon cutting book.  He added a rainbow to make his zoo extra special.

We attempted to make yarn eggs.  

I have wanted to try this for years because I think the final result is so pretty.  


It was very frustrating for C and R.  I don't recommend it for young kids.  The yarn kept falling off of the balloons, and C hated how sticky his hands were throughout the process.  A friend of mine told me that spray adhesive works better for this, but we didn't have any on hand and I wasn't about to brave the floods for spray adhesive - maybe next year.


 We also made special spring/Easter Rice Krispies treats.   We cut them using Easter bunny and butterfly cookie cutters and decorated them with melted white chocolate, sprinkles, and candy.  We had some little scraps of Rice Krispies treats left so R and C rolled them into balls, dipped them in white chocolate, and covered them with sprinkles. 


After all of this, I was ready to call it a day, but it was only lunch time!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your rainy day fun looks AWESOME!!!!

Looks like they had alot of fun! we love kumon workbooks here too :)

yarn eggs i agree are so pretty so frustrating!

those rice krispie treats look so yummy i haven't had one in ages!:)

Ticia said...

Our attempts at yarn nests (similar process) had about the same results. Oh well, it can't always work.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

LOL on being done by lunch time - I can see what you mean. I cannot believe how much rain your had - no wonder that the schools were closed. What bizarre weather this year everywhere!

Jenny said...

That's a lot of rain! LOL at being done with the day and it only being lunch time.

Those treats look so delicious!

Rebecca said...

Wow- i cant believe thats your backyard! ha! You did some awesome rainy day activities though!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

*phew* I'm feeling tired just READING about all the stuff you packed into the day! Can't believe how flooded it is there... wow!!! Sounds like you did a great job keeping the kiddos entertained during such bad weather -- it is such a challenge, isn't it?

Sherri said...

I would much rather have snow then flooding! I hope it gets better soon! I think we are in for some serious flooding too! We will have to see...right now we are enjoying unusual perfect warm weather and embracing every minute.
I have never made yarn eggs....super fun...spray is a great tip!
Love the treats...time for a movie. I am not big on movies..but sometimes mom is tired and i am thankful for the option!

Susana said...

I still can't get over all that rain!

I know exactly what you mean about it only being lunch time and your only goal being to keep them from fighting--that's been me all week:-).

I've never made one of those nests, but have wanted too. They have intimidated me every time I look at the instructions.

I LOVE your rice krispie treats. I so wanted to make those, but I knew I would eat almost all of them by myself just like at Valentine's Day. They are SO good! Yours turned out super cute!!