Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kentucky Derby Party

Are you thinking of throwing together a Kentucky Derby party for your  kids?  Here are some great ideas to make your party extra special.

  • Let the kids design Jockey silks.  There are so many options for this.  You could let the kids decorate cotton tee shirts, cut head and arm holes out of a paper bag to be decorated, or make multiple copies of this jockey silk printable and hang them up around the party room.
  • Decorate hats
  • Set up a craft table where kids can make these horse puppets.
  • Mix up some non-alcoholic mint juleps
  • Have a contest to see who can make up the silliest name for a race horse
  • Play horseshoes
  • Ride hobbyhorses (you can find directions to make your own by clicking here)
  • Make Derby Pie
  • Watch Racing Stripes
You don't have to know anything about horse racing to enjoy the spirit of the Kentucky Derby.  I certainly do not know anything about the sport or any of the horses, but we are having a lot of fun with all of these activities!

7 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

those are some great ideas for a fun party! I can't wait to hear more about your derby party! are you going to watch it on tv?

we love racing stripes it is a cute movie!

Jennifer said...

GREAT idea!

I forgot all about that movie "Racing Stripes"! Have to check the library for it now!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I might borrow some of those ideas when we get to Kentucky. You are pretty serious about preparing for this event :)

Jenny said...

You all do the coolest things!

Ticia said...

Hmmmm, now will I actually remember to watch it even with your reminders? That's the question, I love watching it when I do remember.

Susana said...

I don't know if you've had your party yet, but it sounds like a whole lot of fun! I'm sure the kids love(d) it!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I love all of these ideas! (Especially the mint julep.. Yum!)