Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fifty States Project - Kentucky Books

We are currently studying the state of Kentucky for our Fifty States Project.  These are the books we are reading:

A Horse Named Funny Cide by The Funny Cide Team  - An inspirational story of an unlikely champion.

The Last Black King of the Kentucky Derby by Crystal Hubbard - The story of one of history's finest horsemen and the last African American ever to win the Kentucky Derby.

B is for Bluegrass, A Kentucky Alphabet by Mary Ann McCabe Riehle - A journey through the alphabet that includes history, geography, and famous folk of Kentucky.  I really love this series of state alphabet books.  If you are planning to do a states study, I strongly recommend the series.  The nice thing about these books is that you can read the quick fact for each letter to young children and read the expanded text to older children.  I wish we owned the series because they are such nice books.  We have been lucky enough to find them at the library.

We may add more books to this list if we get any recommendations from readers or happen across a book that is set in Kentucky.  Recommendations are always appreciated!

To learn more about our Fifty States Project, click here.

6 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am so going to revisit all your posts when we visit US in depth. Thanks for the recommendations!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

you do such a great job and are such an inspiration for all who are looking for ideas on teaching the United States

a pretty book with pics taken from the woods in kentucky:

Counting on the woods : a poem

I love the series:

States and their symbols

Ticia said...

Great recommendations, unfortunately the main ones I can think of are chapter books.
I was about to recommend one, and then realized I was thinking of Tennessee.

Susana said...

Unfortunately I don't know of any Kentucky books. I'm sure I'll be coming to your site for our state books, not finding many of my own:-).

Looking forward to seeing what else you do for Kentucky!

Adriana said...

Those state alphabet books sound great! I'll have to see if our library carries them.

Jenny said...

Great list, I can't think of any to add to it.