Friday, May 14, 2010

They're Here!

If you have been reading my blog for a while, then you know that we raised caterpillars last year and loved the experience.  It really is amazing to watch the caterpillars grow and change.  I could not resist the opportunity to do it all over again this year.  The caterpillars arrived yesterday; they are Painted Lady caterpillars.  This is what they look like right now:
Can you see them in there?  I know this is not the greatest picture.  They come in this little plastic cup that has all the food they need to develop.  If you are wondering, the little green balls in the cup are caterpillar waste ("frass").  The caterpillars will stay in this cup until they have all formed chrysalids; then we will move them into the butterfly habitat.  If you are interested in raising caterpillars, we get ours from Insect Lore

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Good luck with these guys. We may have to order some this yr. In previous yrs we have always had wild milkweed growing in our garden and we would always find itty bitty monarch caterpillars that we would take care of. Sometime we would even find eggs. The kids would take turns cleaning out the jars and adding more milkweed. Of course, now that we moved our milkweed is left in MN. :( I am going to miss this project because we have been doing it for the past 9 yrs. Guess it is time to order. Have fun with your little buggers!

Sherri said...

What a great idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I might go for it next year - I am kind of so-so on bugs even on caterpillars, but I can see that it will be great fun for Anna.

Jenny said...

That is so cool, but I could not have them in my house. I would be afraid they would get loose.

Susana said...

I hope they all do super and all hatch for you too!