Sunday, May 16, 2010

Leaves and Caterpillars

We love Eric Carle's books.  When I saw the leaf shaped paint samples at Home Depot (thanks Valerie!), I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.  Does this page look familiar?

That is a page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

We took our leaf paint samples and punched some holes in them.  (R is in love with her new helmet; she does not like to take it off.)


We glued the leaves onto white paper and drew a stem and tree branches. C and R finger painted the caterpillar using green paint for the body and red paint for the head, just like the caterpillar in the book.  
They also added legs, antennae, and faces.  This is R's finished picture:

C made one too, but he decided that he did not want his art photographed, and I respected his decision.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, I love the paint leaves! What a neat find and a creative use for them. I've always adored Eric Carle's work- for the classroom and home. Here are a couple of posts I've done in years past- if interested. :)

How To Do Art Eric Carle Style
http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-do-art-eric-carle-style.html

The Art of Collage
http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com/2008/08/if-you-havent-discovered-childrens.html

Enjoy your Sunday!

Mandy said...

Hilarious that she won't take off the helmet.

SandyS said...

If you love Eric Carle - please come visit The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, MA. We feature children's picture book art from around the world! We also have a wonderful store that sells hard to find Eric Carle items - including some new fabric that just came in!

Ticia said...

How fun! I really need to go by and see if our local one has those, but haven't had the time yet.
I cracked up about R's helmet, my boys go through the same phase from time to time.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I just picked up some of those leaves too, but Anna didn't want to craft with them, at least not yet. R did great recreating a Very Hungry Caterpillar.