Thursday, May 13, 2010

Just Ducky

                                    
It just happened that we brought a few duck books home from the library last week, so I couldn't resist a duck craft to go along with the books. 

We read:  
  • Make the Team, Baby Duck!  by Amy Hest - Baby Duck wants to join the swim team but she is scared.  Grampa helps her find her courage.
  • Guess Who, Baby Duck! by Amy Hest - Baby Duck isn't feeling well, but she begins to feel better when Grampa brings a photo book for them to look at together.
  • Duck Tents by Lynne Berry  - Five little ducks go camping in the backyard, and just as they are about to fall asleep, they hear a scary noise!  Whoooo can it be?
Our craft was a handprint duck!  I painted one hand yellow and had them make the handprint on white card stock.  To make it look like a duck, the fingers should stay close together with the thumb separate. 


They added an eye, a beak, and a background to their pictures.


My plan was for both of them to look like R's duck, but C had his own opinion about how his duck should look, so his feathers go up - maybe the duck was leaning forward with feathers in the air to catch that fish in his mouth!

I am linking this book project to stArt  (Story + Art = a Great Start) at A Mommy's Adventures.  Hop on over there and check out the other book/art projects, story stretchers, and book fun. 

19 comments:

Sherry said...

very cute!

Michelle said...

These are so cute! I love handprint projects. The duck books look really cute great too.

Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

Ticia said...

I'm sure that's what is going on.....
Super cute!

Jen said...

Quack, Quack! Great craft! We love feeding the ducks near our house. Sorry for being corny- couldn't help myself. I'm quacking a lot these days with a newborn around- he likes animal sounds. I have something "sweet" for you over on my blog today- stop by and check it out when you get a chance.

Jen from Creative and Curious Kids!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

We did handprint ducks last month for stART! We read one of the Daisy books. I'll have to take a look at the Baby Duck books. Thanks for the recommendation!

April said...

So cute, I love the handprint craft.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I thought that C's duck looked like a beautiful ship. What a neat craft, and we enjoyed Amy Hest series as well.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I think this is the first time that we've actually read all the books you discussed. Another one of our duck favorites is Duck and Goose...also we loved The Odd Egg.

Julie said...

Cute! My kids love doing hand print art projects so we may have to try making some ducks too.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What fun! Duck, Duck, Goose is one of Emily's favorite games, and of course feeding the ducks (which always seem to hang out at our local fish hatchery) is a big hit too. I love the books you chose, and the handprint duckies are adorable!! Well done! :-)

sbswtp said...

So fun!!!! I love hand print art and this came out great:)

Jenny said...

Cute idea!

Jenny said...

So cute!

Unknown said...

I love the baby duck books. Your handprints made wonderful ducks.

Sherri said...

Love the idea!

Sherri said...

Love the idea!

Christina said...

Very cute. My son loves the baby duck books. I'm following you now. Great Blog.
Christina
http://iwritechildrensbooks.blogspot.com

Christina said...

Very cute. My son loves the baby duck books. I'm following you now. Great Blog.
Christina
http://iwritechildrensbooks.blogspot.com

Susana said...

These look like some cute duck books and a cute craft to go along with them too!!