Tuesday, May 18, 2010

On the Moon

 
We recently read On the Moon by Anna Milbourne.  This book combines great illustrations with actual NASA photographs of the surface of the moon.  The text is simple and yet informative.  C and R both enjoyed the book, but this book is definitely for preschool aged children.  

After reading the book, we decided to make some moons to look like the pictures in the book.



I traced around a bowl and cut out circles of white paper.  C and R dipped cut up pieces of a sponge into brown, yellow, and white paint and sponge painted the paper to look like the moon.

 

Once the paint dried, they glued their moons onto black construction paper.  C finger painted stars in the background and R used a white crayon to make stars.  


 
It is hard to tell, but the sponge painting makes a cool crater-like effect.  

5 comments:

momandkiddo said...

We did a super-fun moon project which involved dropping rocks and marbles into a dish of flour. But be prepared for a mess! Or do it outside. I like your project a lot.

Ticia said...

It does look like craters. At first before I read the description I thought it was bread you were using, and I was thinking that would fall apart and be a lot of bread to use.

Renee said...

Very cool :D I will have to see if that book is at our library.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This book comes from the same author/illustrator pair as our Castle book from the last week. It's definitely on my list of books to read soon. Great project to go with it :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

We own that book, and it is really fantastic! I love how their moon pictures have all that texture!!

Thank you so much for voting for me today -- I truly appreciate it! xoxo :-)