Thursday, May 27, 2010

Squiggle Drawings

I'm a copycat this week.  I saw these squiggle drawings on the Just Playin' Around blog a couple weeks ago and I knew it would be a hit with my kids.  Well, it was a home run!  We have been making squiggle drawings all week!  One of us will draw a little squiggle and then challenge another family member to make something out of that squiggle.  This is a great idea for waiting rooms and restaurants! 


The idea for squiggle drawings came from the book, Star of the Week by Barney Saltzberg.  The main character is star of the week in his class and shares some of his favorite things with his classmates.  It doesn't go so well in the beginning, but when Stanley's love of drawing results in squiggle drawings, the entire class wants to make their own squiggle drawings.

This is a great book, and I love the lesson that is incorporated in the story line - "It's really important that you finish what you start."  When things were not going well, Stanley wanted to give up and stop sharing his favorite things, but his teacher encouraged him to continue. 

Here are two drawings C and R created from squiggles I drew:

Go ahead and try squiggle drawings; I bet your whole family will have fun!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute idea! I LOVE this!!

Jenny said...

That looks like a cute book! Love their drawings!

Ticia said...

This was actually a writing assignment I had in college for one of my education classes. It is so much fun to do.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

PS - great drawings, I am always amazed with what children can imagine (provided they are in a good mood and want to play squiggle game :))

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am adding this book to my Evernote!

Anonymous said...

I love this! It's so open ended and allows for imagination! You could even do a squiggle, copy it, and give to everyone and see how many different drawings come from one squiggle.

Julie said...

I love their drawings! So glad they enjoyed it as much as we did!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! They both did a great job.

Charlene Juliani said...

That is a great idea (totally copying worthy)!

Dropping by via stART!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I also love the idea and your squiggle drawings are great!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I used to do this with my friends in high school during dull classes. Watch out! Your kids may someday do the same! ;)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Those drawings look like so much fun! I bet Emily would love to try this!!