Sunday, May 30, 2010

Science Sunday - Caterpillars


We have been observing caterpillars over the last two weeks.  Below you can see how small they were when we got them and how much they grew in just one week! 

They are now in the chrysalis stage.  C and R love to look at them with a magnifying glass.


R drew a picture of a chrysalis after observing them for a while.
 C and R can both explain the life cycle of a butterfly now.  

We have read a lot of books about caterpillars and butterflies over the last few weeks, but our favorite book about the life cycle of a butterfly is Are You a Butterfly? by Judy Allen.  I like this book because it does a great job explaining the life cycle in terms that a young child can understand.  I also enjoyed the way it is written as if the author is speaking to the reader.

I am happy to be linking up to Science Sunday this week.  If you would like to read more science blog posts, visit Adventures in Mommydom.

6 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I think this is a project to fascinate any child - need to do it with my kids sometime...

Debbie said...

I've been wanting to do this with Selena. I know she would just love it!

Ticia said...

Ours will be coming soon. You can't believe how happy the kids are.

Did I ever tell you, a post of yours last summer, I think, was partially my inspiration for doing this?

Unknown said...

Very exciting, we are also watching caterpillars to butterflies. Your transition from the cup to the butterfly seemed to work out better for you. We lost one during the move. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

How exciting!! Emily spent the better part of this afternoon catching butterflies in our garden. It's so much fun to see how the caterpillars develop into butterflies! R must be ready to burst with anticipation!

DairyQueen said...

how fun! I can't wait until we do this in a few months :)