Monday, July 6, 2009

An Amish Year


I think this book is interesting and beautifully illustrated. C and R are a bit young for the book so I summarized each page and just gave them the details they would understand and appreciate. I want them to have some knowledge of the Amish since we are learning about Pennsylvania. It was difficult for them to understand why the Amish do not have electricity, say the pledge of allegiance, or drive cars but they both asked if they could be Amish.

I often modify books for C and R, and I think it works. There are so many great books that they can learn from, even if they don't have the attention span for every word.

While we were reading this book C was particularly interested in the fact that the Amish people dress alike because they do not believe anyone should feel superior with nicer clothing. He then explained to me that he remembered that the bible says all people are equal. C is listening, comprehending, and analyzing and he isn't even five yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in Northeast PA and have many amish farms in our community. My kids love to drive past when they are doing farm work with their horses. A couple of the farms even have little roadside stands, where they sell their baked goods and fresh produce.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is great that he was able to think it through and come up with that! :)

I 'll have to check that book out and all i love amish books! I want to take them to the amish days celebration that is about 30 mins away from here

we have a big amish and mennonite community not too far way :)