Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tot school - Philly style

Tot School
My husband is amazing. We have been studying the state of Pennsylvania as part of our fifty states project, and so my husband said, "Let's celebrate Independence Day in Philadelphia!" How great is that? I can't wait to study Hawaii in the middle of the winter (ha ha)!

So, some of our Tot School happened in Philadelphia. Before our trip, however, we made our own Liberty Bell.
We also made Liberty Bell sugar cookies and read a little about the Liberty Bell, William Penn, Betsy Ross, and Ben Franklin. R can now find Pennsylvania on a map of the United States too.

Here are some of our photos from Philadelphia:

R loved the colonial dresses.
C, T, and R in front of Independence Hall.
We especially enjoyed our horse and buggy educational tour of the city. (That's Grandma with us, and we loved sharing this trip with her. It's a great photo of her so I hope she doesn't mind that I'm sharing it with the world.)

The Philadelphia 4th of July parade.
Look at those soldiers!

Here we are in front of the real Liberty Bell.

Philadelphia fireworks. We also got to listen to a free concert by The Roots and Sheryl Crow.
We loved Philadelphia, and we are so blessed to be able to travel to different states as part of our fifty states project!
Be sure to head on over to 1+1+1=1 to read about what other tot schoolers are doing.

12 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

Oh, wow! How great to get to spend the 4th in Philly. :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

oh i love sheryl crow you lucky duck!

what a great place to spend the 4th

looks like another great totschool week you have the best weeks! :)

RockerMom said...

You are so blessed to be able to do that! I hope that someday we can do things like that. Thanks for sharing (and I'll try not to be jealous). :)

teachmama said...

no way--talk about some seriously fun learning!! I want to be a part of the superhero and princess family. . .

Michelle Gibson said...

What a fun HANDS ON learning experience! :-)

Ticia said...

So jealous you got to be there on the 4th. I fondly remember my trip to Philly in Junior High. Quite probably one of the many reasons that I'm a history buff now.

Lessons from the Boys said...

How wonderful! Looks like a great trip!

Goat Gal said...

Way to go! Taking school out on the road! That is so awesome!

Michie said...

What a neat field trip! Looks like you all had a great time. :)

Annette W. said...

I'm so glad it was a great trip for the family. What a blessing that Grandma joined you!

I truly am thankful to live in a great state!

(FYI, If your kids want to keep learning about the Amish, there are lots in Ohio, too, so your study doesn't have to end with PA.)

Heather said...

What fun! I am enjoying your Blog so much!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a hands-on learning! I think you should come to CA for your 50 states project too :)