Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tot school

Tot School
R is 40 months old
I know there are people who read my blog that are not quite sure what "Tot School" entails. In our house, Tot School is time to focus on helping R develop different skills and learn while having fun! I include the button above because Tot school is hosted by the blog 1+1+1=1. There are many bloggers that share their tot school experiences there so it is a great place to find new ideas. The tots are between the ages of one and four.

Here are some of our Tot School highlights from the week:
I found this game (Bed Bugs) in a consignment shop and bought it only because using the tongs to pick up the little plastic bed bugs is great for developing hand muscles. If you put batteries in it, the bed shakes and the game is more challenging but it's really, really loud so we play without batteries.
We use this Melissa and Doug toy to work on counting, colors, shapes, and number recognition (the numbers 1-5 are painted on the front of the toy).

Dress up is one of R's favorite activities. She is especially fond of using play silks as capes, skirts, blankets or whatever else she is in the mood for. We have a few colors and hope Santa will bring a few more this year! I would also love to know how your child uses play silks.

Scissors are always left at reach so that R and C can work on scissor skills when they feel the desire to cut! R loves to cut straws and C loves to cut out the Spider Man comic strip. If your child has trouble cutting paper, let him or her cut straws or play dough - it's easier for little fingers to cut. I will be writing a post about how we use those cut straws but one thing you can do with the cut straws is to lace them on string and create jewelry!

Melissa and Doug makes some of our favorite toys; these lacing beads are played with often and they are great for developing fine motor skills.

Meet "Mudda", R's Maine lobster. If you want to make your own lobster, click here for directions.
R had fun playing with her brothers at the beach.

She loves to be in the water. I'm hoping for many more nice beach days this summer!

Have a great week!
Click here to find out what other Tot School tots learned this week.

13 comments:

Susana said...

So glad to see you guys made it to the beach this week two:-)!!

The Melissa and Doug beads you have are on my wish list. My daughter loved playsilks when she was younger too--they are great!!

You guys had a busy but very fun week!!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what a great totschool week!

I love Doug and Melissa toys! I think besides some homemade stuff and 1 leapster game she will get doug and melissa stuff for christmas!

I love your lobsters they are adorable!

Unknown said...

I totally had the bed bug game when I was little! Good times!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great week! We have a game similar to bed bugs, and it is also extremely LOUD. I don't know what the toy manufacturers are thinking sometimes! Love the Melissa and Doug stuff... they are a big favorite in our house too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

R is such an adorable Tot. It looks like you have accomplished so much this week, and it's neat that she gets a chance to learn and play with her older brother.

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

Very cool blog. I have a 2 year old. I'll be checking out your page again.

RockerMom said...

I love how you explained Tot School and the reasoning behind your activities. We use cut straws for many things around here as well. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

visited your sight before..great to see others who have older "tots" in "tot-school" like myself!! I am going to be on a hunt for bed bugs! :)

teachmama said...

so many awesome ideas here! I loved that bug game when I was little and forgot about it! I'm on the hunt. . .

Kim said...

Love the idea of cutting and lacing straws!

Jess said...

We love the Melissa and Doug toys too! We have 5 puzzles by them and Sunshine adores them!! Love the lob-sta!! LOL!

Mandy said...

My Donut has stopped playing lately. I can't get her to do much of anything except scream and maybe draw a little. Hoping our new playroom inspires some new fun!

Anonymous said...

I don't usually read through many of the Tot School posts but your post really inspired me to start working with my 33 month old son. The work I did with my 5 year old daughter was so natural and easy. She loved every minute. My son on the other hand, not so much. So I haven't been doing much other than letters, numbers, singing and reading, which seems like enough but I know I could do more.

Thanks for the inspiration. And now I will be sure to read more Tot School posts. ;)