Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Letters & Colors



The last time we did a color mixing activity, I got a comment from The Dairy Queen that inspired me to do this fun activity. She recommended making different colored ice and letting the colors melt together to create new colors. I decided to use our alphabet ice cube trays to add letter recognition to the experiment.

I mixed food coloring and water in the ice cube trays to create red, yellow, and blue ice. C and R took turns picking ice cube letters of different colors and putting them in bowls to melt. We had white bowls set up all over the table because we had 26 ice cubes to mix.

They swirled the ice for a while and enjoyed watching the colors melt together to create new colors. This might be even more fun on a hot day, but our New England weather has not been very hot this summer.

I am linking this to the Preschool Corner this week! Head on over to that blog and find out what other preschool children are learning.


10 comments:

RockerMom said...

What a great idea!! Where did you get the alphabet ice cube trays??

Gidget Girl Reading said...

super cool! i love those and really need to get them! Chasing Cheerios uses them to make crayons! I always thought it would be neat to have a alphabet party for 4th bday!

where did you get it?

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That's a neat idea! I'm saving this one for one of those scorcher days in August. Looks like fun!

Denise said...

How fun! We'll need to do this soon. It's plenty hot where we live!

DairyQueen said...

fun!! I love the alphabet trays!

Jolanthe said...

Very fun! Where did you find the ice cube trays?

Ticia said...

Love this idea!

Michelle Gibson said...

Very neat! :-)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

That looks great! I keep wanting colored ice and keep postponing it "until later". I'd better get to it before my daughter is in college :)

Andrea said...

Looks like fun! And educational, too! I might have to hit the craft stores and see if I can come up w. some similar options.