Tuesday, July 7, 2009

We did it!

We finally finished reading the top 30 Picture Books ranked by School Library Journal. Our next goal is to work on reading the books ranked #31 - #60 that we have not read from the same list. The books we have not read are highlighted in red:
#31: No David by David Shannon (1998)
#32: Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin, ill. by Betsy Lewin (2000)
#33: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi and Ron Barrett (1978)
#34: Olivia by Ian Falconer (2000)
#35: Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel, ill. Blair Lent (1968)
#36: Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka, ill. Lane Smith (1992)
#37: Eloise by Kay Thompson, ill. Hilary Knight (1955)
#38: Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion, ill. by Margaret Bloy Graham (1956)
#39: The Napping House by Audrey and Don Wood (1984)
#40: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton (1939)
#41: The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant, ill. Stephen Gammell (1985)
#42: Curious George by H.A. Rey (1941)
#43: Tuesday by David Wiesner (1991)
#44: Strega Nona by Tomie de Paola (1975)
#45: The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg (1985)
#46: Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt (2006)
#47: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff (1985)
#48: The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Pinkwater (1977)
#49: King Bidgood is in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood, ill. Don Wood (1985)
#50: Black and White by David Macaulay (1990)
#51: Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (1981)
#52: Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard, ill. James Marshall (1977)
#53: The Snowman by Raymond Briggs (1978)
#54: The Three Pigs by David Wiesner (2001)
#55: The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper, ill. George & Doris Hauman (1961)
#56: Frederick by Leo Lionni (1967)
#57: Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin, ill. Harry Bliss (2003)
#58: Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)
#59: Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (1975) by Verna Aardema, ill.Leo and Diane Dillon (1975)
#60: Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months by Maurice Sendak (1962)

So, where do I begin? Any recommendations?

Finally, I would love to know which books you have read. Our good friend The Bookworm's blog is private now but she started this and I am so grateful! So, if you are interested in playing along, let's keep it going a little at a time until we get through the top 100.

8 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

i love tuesday (its wordless) and harry the dirty dog! the rest weren't mine or the girls faves. I liked cloudy with a chance of meatballs but my youngest didn't. my oldest thought it was ok kinda funny!

Ticia said...

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs has a movie coming out soon.
Stinky Cheese man is a great one to do with other fairy tales, as it's a book of fractured fairy tales.
Harry the Dirty Dog is just fun.
Mike Mulligan is a good story about persistance. My kids love it.
Tuesday is a fun one about frogs, there's no words, so it's fun to make up your own.
Jumanji also has a movie and a sequel Zathura

Jenny said...

That is awesome! My daughter will only read books SHE picks out. We've read several of these, but I'm going to look up the whole list.

Jenny said...

Also, Miss Nelson is Missing was one of my favorites back in the day.

Tuesday is a wordless book, but it's neat.

Karen Wilson said...

Tuesday is one of my favorites. David Wiesner is the best! I love reading it to a small group and letting the kids tell me what they think is happening on each page.

I recommend Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock and Zomo the Rabbit, to read along with Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears. I have the kids make storyteller hats when we do African Folk Tales. We color pictures of animals from the stories, and paste them to our hats each week. I wear one too. I can give you the coloring sheets I have.

Sherry Gann said...

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Miss Nelson is Missing are probably G's favorite from this list. I think Harry the Dirty Dog is cute.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Our favorites from this list are 47, 32 and 55. I personally like 32 a lot - and now we read another book in this series - Giggle, Giggle. Quack. Happy Reading!

Homeschool Friend said...

NEAT!

You're awesome!

Have fun and I'll join in if I can!!! (I HOPE I can!)