Monday, July 27, 2009

Tot school - upstate NY style!

Tot School
R is 40 months old
Tot school was on the road again this past week. We were fortunate to spend some time with family in upstate NY, and there were plenty of learning opportunities.
Every one of the Wikki Stix bracelets on my wrist was placed there by R. She twisted them so carefully during our flight to upstate NY. I made the braided bracelet on her wrist. This occupied her for just about the entire flight. (Look at the veins in my hands; phlebotemists LOVE me!)

R fed a lot of fish at a fish hatchery. She loved the way the fish jumped to get the food and splashed her every time.

R and big brother C had a lot of fun testing this earthquake simulator in a science museum. Obviously, you cannot hear them, but they are saying, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" and laughing at the vibration!

This is just a small section of the pretend grocery store in a children's museum that we visited. R was very serious about her "shopping" and scolded me when I touched her cart.


The museum also had a wonderful butterfly garden, and R loved it! Here she is with a butterfly on her arm.


R is still talking about the treasures she found in Auntie Karen and Uncle Mark's yard. I wish I could look at the world through the eyes of a three year old. Everything is a treasure in her eyes!


Auntie Karen brought us to a Fancy Nancy party at the local bookstore where R listened to the book, enjoyed fancy cookies and punch, and made this fancy bracelet!

R completed an entire book of Kumon Easy Mazes over the course of this trip. This was one of the activities she enjoyed when we were awake earlier than everyone else.

Phew! We had a great time, and now we are exhausted!

Don't forget to check out the other Tot School posts here.

13 comments:

Goat Gal said...

Wow! That children's museum looks awesome! What a great week you had!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

That museum is WAY cool!
These are great pics and activities!
Are you back? I hope you had a great time!

Susana said...

I'm glad you guys had fun! The museum you went to must be very similar to ours here-we have the grocery store (always) and the butterfly garden through the end of the summer. How was the garden? I want to make it there with my kids in the next few weeks for that. I love how they find "treasures" too--it's so sweet!!

Annette W. said...

Where in NY were you? I grew up close to Binghamton NY...which I suppose is considered upstate since it isn't close to NYC...but it's also called the Southern Tier bc it's along the PA border. :) I grew up on the PA side...barely.

Annette W. said...

Oh, I'm glad you got some family time AND new jewlery to boot!

Ticia said...

Too many fun pictures to comment on. I love the museum. I think everyone has a grocery store area, and it's always wildly popular.
I'm jealous of the Fancy Nancy party. That would be fun.

Rebecca said...

You were right near me! Thats Strong National Musuem of Play- the museum we go to all the time! Funny :)

teachmama said...

too fun! and I love the wikki stix idea!!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

I love children's museums - so much fun! Looks like a great week! I have to check out those wiki sticks.

L2L said...

Wow it is crazy to see Kumon in the States!! We live Okinawa Japan and they have these preschools all over the place!!!! Fancy Nancy seems like something I need to check into. Wow am I behind after leaving overseas for 5 years, lol. Nice meeting you and R!!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun on vacation. I am still considering what to pack for Anna to entertain her during our upcoming 5+ hours of flying. Those bracelets look like a light-weight option. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I also gave you two awards on my blog (I am consolidating :)). They are in http://learningwithmouse.blogspot.com/2009/07/blogging-matters.html post.

Anonymous said...

I live in upstate NY near Albany, NY. Where were these museums? I would love to visit them!

Christy Killoran said...

Anonymous: The museums are in Rochester, NY. The children's museum is called The Strong Museum and the other museum is a science museum in Rochester (cannot remember the exact name).