Wednesday, July 29, 2009

United Tweets of America


I have found another book to add to the fun of our fifty states project. United Tweets of America by Hudson Talbott is a colorful book that features every state bird in a way that also teaches interesting state trivia.

The states are listed in alphabetical order and in the upper corner of each page there is an outline map of the state. The state bird is prominently featured along with a few facts about the state.

I love the way the illustrations depict each state. We are currently learning about the state of Maine and the illustration for the page depicts ocean waves on a rocky shore with a lighthouse and pine trees (Maine is nicknamed The Pine Tree State). The state bird is the Black-Capped Chickadee and a few of the birds are shown preparing for the harsh Maine winter.

At the end of the book, there is a pageant of the birds that is really funny and also highlights acceptance, cooperation, and diversity.

If you are looking for a good book to help your children learn about United States history and geography while appreciating wildlife, this is it!

10 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww that looks cute! we've read the scrambled states of america and the follow up to that

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It sounds really interesting. I admit I half expected this post to be about Twitter though :)

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

What does it do for the repeats {states w/ the same state bird}?

Christy Killoran said...

There are repeats. Obviously, the pages are different because the focus is on state details. There is usually only one fact about the bird on each page so the author just used different facts about the bird when there is a repeat.

abc said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a few months now. I really enjoy your educational ideas. This book sounds great. I saw the book "ABC USA" at our library recently and thought of you. (Sorry I don't recall the author's name.) If you haven't already seen it, I think you ought to give it a try.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great book! I'm off to my library's website to see if it's in the catalog, and if not I'll do an inter-library loan. I bet I would learn some new things about the 50 states too!

Susana said...

I hope you write reviews for Amazon!! You find the BEST books! Thank you for sharing another one that will be added to my never ending list lately--all of which have come from your blog, BTW:-).

I ordered some of the states books and goodnight series too:-).

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

That's cool I will have to ee if we can find that.

Elise said...

What a great find. It's always exciting when you come across something unique and clever that fits right in with you're project theme.

Jenny said...

I love this book! I found it at the library right around the 4th of July.