Saturday, June 26, 2010

Class Picture


David's Drawings by Cathryn Falwell is a book about a boy named David who draws a tree that he sees on his way to school.  One of his classmates thinks his picture needs something and this leads to each person in the class adding something to the picture.  In the end, the entire class contributed and they created a class picture.

I loved the book the first time I read it and knew it would be a fun book to read to a class of students.  I mentioned the book to C's Kindergarten teacher and she was happy to read it and create a class picture with her class.

Here is the finished class picture made by C and his classmates:



I find out about so many great books by reading blogs!  I first saw this book mentioned on What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns. I also get book ideas from stArt (story + art = a great start) on A Mommy's Adventures.  Click on the highlighted blog names to visit the blogs for more great ideas!

7 comments:

danita said...

my daughter's class did something called friday readers--once a month parents came to read to the class. i went three times. once i did all nocturnal creature books, once i did books by mem fox (and i brought my 'down under map') and the last time i read yoshi's feast and i had a bunch of props to do sound effects. david's pictures would have been perfect to do! maybe next year!

Joyful Learner said...

I discovered Cathryn Falwell through Natalie as welland enjoyed her Word Wizard. Now, I want to check out this book! Thanks!

Ticia said...

That does look like a cool book. I wonder how my kids would react to a group picture...... Probably not well.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am so glad that C's class enjoyed the book and ended up doing the group picture. I was thinking of doing a family picture that way - Anna seems to enjoy cooperative art a lot more than being presented with a blank sheet. Thanks for linking this post to WMCIR.

Anonymous said...

This looks like fun. We might have to try it for a playdate project.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Thanks for the reminder on that one - I wanted to try a family picture with the kids, but I forgot to put it on my list.

Cathryn Falwell said...

Happy to hear you shared DAVID'S DRAWINGS. This book has two messages--that sometimes it's fun to collaborate creatively with others, and sometimes it's fine to just enjoy working by yourself. Thanks for including this!
Thanks for all you do.
Cathryn Falwell