Saturday, June 19, 2010

What My Child is Reading - Ballet Books

 
Today is a special day for R - her very first dance recital!  We have been reading ballet books all week, and I thought I would highlight a few of her favorites today.


R loves both of the Ella Bella Ballerina books by James Mayhew.  Two weeks ago, I wrote about Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella.  That seems to be R's favorite of the two books.  Last week, we were lucky enough to see a local ballet company perform Cinderella and R enjoyed every minute of the ballet.  She loved seeing the fairies of the four seasons in the ballet after reading about them in the book.  This week, we read Ella Bella Ballerina and The Sleeping Beauty.  In this book, Ella is on stage after dance class when she is whisked off into the enchanted world of The Sleeping Beauty and tries to help save Princess Aurora.  Both of the books are fantastic and I definitely recommend them. At the end of both books, there is a page of  information about the ballets.  I found this very interesting and learned something new from each of the books.

We recently discovered the Katy Duck books by Alyssa Satin Capucilli.  We found Katy Duck Dance Star and Katy Duck Center Stage at the library this week.  They were perfect reads leading up to R's recital.

To find out what other children are reading, visit Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I am going to bookmark this post, because all the books look really good, especially Ella Bella series. I want to take Anna to see a ballet too and maybe try our luck with dancing again in the fall. Good luck with recital, I am looking forward to the pictures :)

Ticia said...

I love books with alliteration in their names, Ella Bella looks to be another fun one to add to that.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Oh, the little ballerinas in our house will love these books - I hope our library has them!

Debbie said...

Selena would love the Princess books! I have to look for these.