Thursday, June 3, 2010

Round is a Pancake

This week, we read Round Is A Pancake by Joan Sullivan Baranski.  In this fun book, a feast is being prepared for a king, and a simple rhyme lists round items like pancakes, doughnuts, spots on a ladybug, etc.  We enjoyed looking at the beautiful illustrations to find the round items listed, as well as other items that were not listed.

I knew as soon as I saw this book that it would be the subject of a book project.  C and R used circle stickers (label coding stickers) and Do A Dot markers to create pictures featuring round items.


R made:  purple circles = plums, pink circles = doughnuts (she likes pink frosting on her doughnuts), and green circles = watermelons.

C made balloons, cherries, pumpkins, watermelon, bugs, a beach ball, candies, and eyes.



To see more book projects, visit A Mommy's Adventures.

11 comments:

danita said...

good book for pi day next year!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They were very imaginative with their circles :)

Anonymous said...

How lovely! I think sometimes the simplest things are best!!!!

Jen said...

That looks like a really cute book. I need to pic up more bingo dabbers- so much fun for art projects. My girls love to create objects from shapes- circles, hearts, or even leaves. I usually will give them a sheet of hearts at Valentine's Day for example and challenge them to create different objects, etc. Enjoy your day!

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!

Ticia said...

What fun circle project. I bet they had a blast.

Brimful Curiosities said...

What fun to think about round things...I would have never thought to include eyes!

Sandra said...

What a great book, I think I'll look for it for my preschooler. Your kids did a great job with their sticker art.

Charlene Juliani said...

Note to self: must add do a dot markers to our craft supplies list.

Looks like they had fun thinking up ways to make their circles!

Unknown said...

This shaper book sounds great. Their work looks great too.

Jenny said...

That does look like it has beautiful illustrations; we'll be on the look-out for it!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I love how their pictures turned out, and you know I'm a huge fan of color coding labels!! ;-)