Thursday, June 24, 2010

Color Mixing Fun

I recently hosted another coffee shop story hour.  We had fun mixing colors with paint and play dough.

One of the books we read is little blue and little yellow by Leo Lionni.  In this book, little blue and little yellow are best friends, and when they hug, they turn green.  When their parents do not recognize them, they cry blue and yellow tears until they are separate again and the parents realize what happened.


Each child received a small amount of yellow play dough and a small amount of blue play dough.  They rolled each color into a ball and then combined the two balls to make green.

We also read Warthogs Paint by Pamela Duncan Edwards and Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh.  In both books, the characters are using paint and discover that they can mix colors to create different colors.


Each child received a piece of paper and drops of paint.  On one section of the paper, I gave them a drop of red and a drop of blue; on another section, I gave them a drop of red and a drop of yellow; and on the last section, I gave them a drop of blue and a drop of yellow.  They used their fingers to mix together the drops of paint to create new colors.  Surprisingly, no one mixed everything together to make brown!

I love hosting this story hour and finding new books and art projects to share with the children.  Next month, we will have a beach theme!  If you are local, I hope to see you there.

Visit stArt (story + art = a great start) at A Mommy's Adventures  for more book projects and story stretchers.

11 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wish we were local - that sounds like fun!

Ticia said...

All my kids do when they get this chance is make brown, so I'm pretty impressed no one did.

Charlene Juliani said...

Great Stories and Art! I wish we were local too. My youngest would love it!

Charlene Juliani said...

btw, I love your blog, so I just friended you through google friend connect!

April said...

Color mixing is always fun and the books are great. The only one I haven't read is the warthog one.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I love Mouse Paint... those mice are just so darn cute!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a GREAT idea!! I love combining books with art, and this is such a fun theme!

Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun. I bet the mom love the coffe hour.

Anonymous said...

Oh, we love the blue and yellow book and were going to add it to a book review very soon! the other two look great too!

And love the sound of the other books too! Colour theory rocks!!

I bet the children had fun!!

Maggy
PS I do a monthly Get Crafty carnival, July's theme is "Summer" - so your Beach theme could work really well? Submit something crafty to "inspire others" in the comments section of the Get Crafty tab! x

Anonymous said...

Oh, we love the blue and yellow book and were going to add it to a book review very soon! the other two look great too!

And love the sound of the other books too! Colour theory rocks!!

I bet the children had fun!!

Maggy
PS I do a monthly Get Crafty carnival, July's theme is "Summer" - so your Beach theme could work really well? Submit something crafty to "inspire others" in the comments section of the Get Crafty tab! x

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We love all those books - the only problem is that Anna was very disappointed by not being separate colors back into their original colors. It's a bit difficult to explain to her why it doesn't work :)