Friday, June 25, 2010

Homemade Dot Stampers


I saw the idea for homemade dot stampers on Counting Coconuts a while ago; I thought it looked cool but I didn't really plan to try it.  Well, then R got beautiful flowers after her dance recital and we had the floral tubes so I just had to do it.  I'm so glad I did because R loves this activity! C enjoyed this activity too, but he did it one day when I was preparing dinner and I didn't have the chance to take pictures!

All you do is put a drop or two of food coloring in each tube and then fill the tubes with water and put the caps on.  Believe it or not, the liquid stays in the tube unless you push down on something.  I put a dish towel on the table and placed a few paper towels on top of it.


R then used her homemade blue, yellow, and red dot stampers to make some beautiful art!  You can use whatever colors you want, but all you really need is the three primary colors to add in a little lesson on color mixing.

So, next time you receive flowers with floral tubes, recycle those tubes and make art!  You could always visit your local florist or floral supply store and buy a few tubes too.

10 comments:

Amy said...

What a great idea, and I love how she got flowers for her recital!!

Rebecca said...

I saw this idea on CC too and plan to try it as well. Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! We don't have any flower tubes, but I will be keeping this in mind. :)

Sherry said...

this is a really good idea, thanks for sharing!

Ticia said...

I also had a teacher friend back in college who used those as chrysallis for teaching the butterfly life cycle.
But, I like this one more.

Jenny said...

I would have never thought to do that, how cool!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I walked past the florist shop the other day, and I knew there was some project I'd seen using something they had, but I couldn't quite remember it. Thanks for the reminder - and R's art turned out beautifully!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Good to know - I also think that R's art turned out very pretty.

Counting Coconuts said...

So glad you tried this! Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

This is awesome! Now Mark has an excuse to get me flowers -- added bonus!!! ;-)