Thursday, June 17, 2010

Storm Clouds

We are reading a few books about thunder and lightning right now, so we made our own storm clouds.

I cut out four cloud shapes to make two stuffed clouds (make sure the clouds are all the same shape so that you can put them together later), and mixed a little black paint with a few drops of white paint.  C and R painted the clouds.

We stapled around the edges of the clouds, leaving an opening for stuffing.  C and R filled them with cotton balls, and we stapled them closed.

I cut lightning bolt shapes out of cereal boxes, and C and R painted them with gold glitter paint.  Then, we stapled the bolts to the clouds.

Once completed, run around the house making loud boom/crack noises just like thunder and lightning.


One of the books we enjoyed reading this week is Thunder Boomer by Shutta Crum.  This is a cute book about a summer thunder storm, complete with colorful illustrations and fun sound effects.


To see more book projects/story stretchers and book related art, check out stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

What a cute and fun project, I will have to check out this book for Emily and Juliette too! Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We loved Thunder Boomer, I think it's been our favorite thunder themed story so far this summer.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We loved Thunder Boomer, I think it's been our favorite thunder themed story so far this summer.

Ticia said...

Thunder boomer looks so cute! I love this project. Why don't I ever remember you can stuff projects?

Sherri said...

We have had lots of Thunderstorms...that is a great activity!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like the idea of a stuffed project too - daughter loves everything that involves stapler or a scotch tape. It also looks like a good book. Did you see a book called, "What Will the Weather Be Like Today?" It's one of Anna's favorites, and I think that C can read it to R.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love how you made them puffy! It sure has been raining enough, making those rainy reads quite popular.

Unknown said...

I will have to look for this book. JDaniel has announced he is afraid of storms all of a sudden.

Sherry said...

That looks like a great project! We should do that, it rains alot here in the summer months .. hurricane season!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

That looks like an adorable book! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for another great recommendation!

sbswtp said...

What a fun activity!!!

Anonymous said...

Little J and I just sat on the front porch last night and watched some of a distant lightening storm. I'll have to look for this book for us. Love the project. May the force be with you.

Jenny said...

We've never made a stuffed project. My son would love the book and the lightening bolt.

Charlene Juliani said...

That looks like a great book and I love the clouds and thunderbolts...Cute!