Friday, June 18, 2010

Father's Day Gift

Most of the gifts made by kids for Father's Day usually have fish, tools, electronics, or golf on them.  That's great for other dads, but my husband does not fish, is certainly not a tool guy, is not much of an electronics fanatic, and he has only golfed twice (maybe) since I have known him.  So, I am always on the lookout for something cool that my kids can make for Dad. 

Before I go any further, if you are my husband, my father, or my father-in-law (I don't think my father-in-law even knows what a blog is, but just in case) then stop reading this right now before you ruin your surprise!

When I saw these coasters on the Frugal Family Fun Blog, I knew that C and R would be making them for Father's Day gifts.  They are perfect because it is an easy project for kids of all ages, and the end result is something very useful!  I was not going to post this (because I am afraid that my husband or father will read this post and spoil the surprise, so stop reading NOW), but I think some of my readers might like to try this with their kids.

If you want to make coasters, first go to Home Depot and buy the 4 x 4 bathroom tiles.  We bought white, but they do come in other colors.  Each tile is only 16 cents so this is a very budget friendly gift!  You also need tissue paper in a few different colors, small felt furniture protector circle thingies, and Mod Podge (I bought the glossy kind and I got it from Michael's). 

C and R each made one coaster for each of the three recipients.  They chose the colors and ripped the tissue paper.


They applied a layer of Mod Podge to one tile and then stuck the tissue paper on the tile.


Then they applied a layer of Mod Podge over the tissue paper.  If you have never used Mod Podge before, it will look white when you apply it, but it dries clear and glossy (if you buy the glossy variety, there is a matte variety too).  Here is a picture of a few of the coasters before the Mod Podge dried:


We waited fifteen minutes for it to dry and then added another coat of Mod Podge.  I think we added one or two more layers of Mod Podge the next day because I wanted to make sure the tissue paper was really stuck on there and I also wanted the coaster to be water resistant.  We only did one tile at a time because I didn't want any chaos.  This was my first time using Mod Podge and I was a bit nervous about the whole thing!  These are the silly types of things I worry about.  Also, part of me really wanted to micromanage the whole thing and make sure that every spot of the tile was covered, but I took a deep breath and reminded myself that this is something my children are making for their father and grandfathers; it is not my gift to give.  I'm glad I let them do it their own way! 

Anyway, when everything is dry, stick the little felt circles on the back of your coasters (I put one in each corner) and you have a beautiful homemade coaster. 


They are very cool!  I am really excited about this gift.  My husband always uses a coaster, so I think he will LOVE the constant reminder of how much his children love him.

Also, if you don't have a chance to make these for Father's Day, you could have your child make holiday coasters using tissue paper in different colors for specific holidays (red and green for Christmas or orange and black for Halloween)! 

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Adorable! I saw these on Frugal Family Fun too and can't wait to make some with Mad! We are holding off until we get to the new house but what a fantastic gift!

Adriana said...

Those are SO great! I haven't used modge podge in years. Great project.

Ticia said...

They turned out great!

I just spent last night at a "studio" making a decoupage (mod podge all fancy) suitcase, that is partially done. I'm trying to decide if I'm brave enough to take my kids to do that.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Your coasters look great! I have to say that this project would have been my favorite out of many adorable projects Valerie had to offer. I didn't have time for it this year (and Anna was entirely not in a crafty mood), but maybe next year it will be it.

Sherry said...

I love it! Great project!

Stacy said...

Love it! Made these with my daughter this morning for a quick Father's Day gift.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

These turned out beautifully!!! I'm so HAPPY you did this! :-)