Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fun with Dice


We bought these oversized dice at Dollar Tree yesterday.  Right now we are playing two different games with them.  The first game is to roll the dice and then add the two numbers.  The second game is more of a game and we only use one of the dice for this one.  We assign one activity for each number (1-6).  If you roll a 1, do one forward roll.  Roll a two, hop on one foot two times.  A three requires you to touch your toes three times.  If you roll a four, take four giant steps backwards.  Roll a five and do five knee lifts.  If you roll a six, then do six jumping jacks.  I think I am going to introduce the second die to this game today so that we can work on counting and adding numbers, and get more exercise.

I just found this fun dice game (number race) on The Activity Mom blogClick here to read the post and print your own number race game.  I can't wait to try it today.

There are so many learning opportunities with dice, and the fact that these are oversized makes them even more appealing to kids.  So, run to Dollar Tree and buy your own before they are all gone.  If you have a fun dice game, feel free to post a comment telling us all about it!

10 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

You could use dice with reading, too. After reading a book, use the dice to talk about it. If you roll a 1, you have to name the characters. If you roll a 2, you have to say the setting. And so on...

The Activity Mom said...

Those are so fun! I need to get over there and get some before they are gone for sure!

Ticia said...

I always loved race to 100 back when I was teaching.

And I love over-sized dice. Our local teacher supply stores and the local gaming stores have some, and it's so hard not to buy the ridiculously huge ones (like almost a foot across).

Jennifer said...

Guess where I'm headed this morning! LOL! Thanks for the idea!

DairyQueen said...

how fun!! I hope there are some at our dollar tree this evening when I get to "escape" and do my grocery shopping!

Julie said...

Fun! C learned some dice games at kindergarten this year. For one, they had to draw parts of a dragonfly depending on which number it landed on (roll a 1 = draw body, roll a 6 = add head, etc.). It was fun. Kind of a Cootie game but with drawing.

Rebecca said...

A good way to incorporate 'gym' into their schooling!

Jen said...

Oh these dice look so cool! What a fun way to learn math.

Jen

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I wonder if Mark will mind if I steal the fuzzy dice hanging from his rear view mirror for this? ;-)

What a great idea!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I'd better go and see if our Dollar Store still has them. I liked the suggestion on reading extension with dice in the comments, but physical games sound like fun too.