Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chocolate Bark


I made this chocolate bark for Christmas, but I'm not sure that we will have any left by then!  It is SO good!  

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place a single layer of saltine crackers on each baking sheet.


Place four sticks of butter, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup white sugar in a sauce pan and place over medium high heat.  Bring to a boil and heat for a minute.  Pour this butter toffee mixture over the saltine crackers. 


Put the baking sheets in the oven for ten minutes; rotate the sheets at the five minute mark.  When you take them out of the oven, pour one bag (I think each bag is 12 oz.) of chocolate chips over each pan of ooey gooey goodness.  Put them back in the oven for a minute or two to melt the chocolate.  Then spread the chocolate with a spatula and add chopped nuts (if you want). 


Place the baking sheets in the fridge for a few hours.  Once they are set, peel the foil away, break into pieces, and enjoy!

This is the first time I have ever made this bark.  I first discovered the recipe when my sister sent me a link to the recipe posted on the blog, Under a Shady Tree.  Allison, the author of Under a Shady Tree also blogs at Vintage Polyanna.  Since seeing the recipe posted on Allison's blog, I have seen it a bunch of places.  Why didn't I know about this deliciousness?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, those look really good!

phasejumper said...

I love cracker toffee! I've also heard it called "Christmas crack".

Elle Belles Bows said...

Oh YUM YUM YUM!! Love this. Well, I love anything with chocolate but bark is my favorite indulgence during Christmas time. Kerri

Debbie said...

These look so yummy. I came across a recipe for Toffee using soda crackers. The recipes sound so familiar. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,156162-242200,00.html

April said...

Never tasted this before, I might try it though since you make it sound so good. This would have been good for our pine tree lunch we had a few weeks ago :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've never seen this before either! I know what we'll be making this afternoon :)

momandkiddo said...

mmm, looks yummy.

Ticia said...

because if you'd known about it before you might ahve gained several pounds?

I just know me and snacks like that.

MaryAnne said...

This looks absolutely delicious!!!

Allison said...

Christy!! Thanks for highlighting this recipe. Isn't it fab? I have a friend who told me that after she made it, she didn't know if she wanted to thank me or curse me! HA!!! Enjoy, and Happy Holidays. Thanks for checking in on me once in a while, I know I am not on Shady Tree much. XOXO

Sherri said...

delicious! I am going to try this!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've never made bark before but I LOVE to eat it. :)

Mandy said...

this looks so yummy! i've seen it several places too....seems like they thing to make these days! might have to give it a try.

ShareandRemember said...

I make this recipe too, it's awesome!

Susana said...

Shame on you for posting this. I made it and made it and ate it and ate it for like three weeks straight. SO GOOD!! Definitely a new holiday recipe in our home each Christmas.