Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Snowmen at Christmas


I wrote about how much we like Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner on Saturday, but I'm back to sing it's praises again.  This book is fun to read, the illustrations are beautiful, and the concept is just brilliant.  I love the little details like the snow babies sleeping on their mothers, the dainty iced sweets for the snow children, and the snow toys handed out by the snowman Kris Kringle.   We never grow tired of it, and I am definitely happy that we own a copy.


I could not resist making a special Snowmen at Christmas treat.  T (the teenager could not resist this one), C, and R each got a sugar cone, green frosting, holiday marshmallows, and candies to make Christmas trees.


While they worked, I made a few doughnut snowmen to complete the scene. 



They loved the process, but surprisingly, T was the only one who ate a sugar cone tree.  C and R enjoyed the doughnut snowmen though!

This book is by the same author who wrote Snowmen at Night, an equally wonderful book that we always enjoy reading.  Little Wonders' Days is posting daily advent activities that include a special book of the day, and Snowmen at Night was the book for day one.  Click here to check out their great snowman activities including white hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows!
 

13 comments:

Kylie said...

Love your doughnut snowmen, the look fabulous. I bet they were yummy too!

Jennifer said...

I'm writing a post about this book too! I just love this book!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute breakfast! This book sounds so cute, maybe our elf will bring it someday. Thanks for the blog link too!

MaryAnne said...

My kids just got this book as a gift, and we love it too!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a wonderful book - we read it too. I cannot imagine eating a sugar cone covered with icing, but I am not crazy about sweets in general :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That turned out so cute! I love their grins at the end :)

Ticia said...

They look so wonderfully cute!

Though I still think the cover looks kinda creepy.

Brimful Curiosities said...

One of our favorite books as well. The trees turned out great and your doughnut snowman look more fun to build than the real ones.

Karen Wilson said...

"Snowmen All Year" just came out last month. It's cute.

momandkiddo said...

I would not be able to make this without eating a ton of donuts on the side! How did you manage?

Sherri said...

adorable winter wonderland!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Love it! (the book of course, but also that treat!) I hadn't thought of ice cream cones as trees - but brilliant idea.

Jenny said...

I have to find these books!

How awesome that you found something T could get into too!