Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gingerbread House


We like to assemble and decorate a gingerbread house the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It is usually our first Christmas decoration.  Here is the one we made this year:


One of our favorite gingerbread books is Gingerbread Friends by Jan Brett.  We love Jan Brett!

In this book, Gingerbread Baby lives in a gingerbread house in the bedroom of a boy named Mattie.  Gingerbread Baby is lonely so he sets out on an adventure to find a friend.  He happens upon a bakery, but none of the cookies there can talk or dance like he can.  He ends up being chased by a mouse, a cat, a dog, and a fox.  In the end, Mattie has a fantastic surprise for Gingerbread Baby.  C and R both love the giant foldout page at the end of the book.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We have read Gingerbread Baby last year, but I didn't know there was a sequel to it. Thanks for writing about it. Your gingerbread house looks really nice!

Ticia said...

We just read another version of the Gingerbread man yesterday and had so much fun.

I'm planning on having us make graham cracker houses later today....... We'll see how that goes.

Debbie said...

I have to check out the Gingerbread books. I have been wanting to do gingerbread houses for sometime. I do love your paper bag houses.

Anonymous said...

It turned out so nice! I can't wait until we do ours. I found one already assembled...I'm not brave enough to do one that I have to put together!

Jenny said...

Girl, you are ON it with the Christmas stuff! I want to live at your house!

MaryAnne said...

We made gingerbread houses this morning! We have and love Jan Brett's "Gingerbread Baby", so I'll have to look for this sequel!

Unknown said...

Your house is wonderful. I hope you will link this post to Read.Explore.Learn.