Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Easy New Year Art


C and R were itching for an activity, and I was in full post Christmas clean up mode, so I set them up with something they could do (mostly) on their own.  This was more than just a fun activity though; it taught them how to write the new year correctly and included some fine motor skills work too. 

I gave them each a piece of dark blue card stock, silver and gold tissue paper, white glue, and silver and gold glitter glue. 


First, they had to tear the silver and gold tissue paper into tiny pieces.  R is not fond of this task.  She always complains when this is part of an art project.  She did it though.

Next, I asked them what year it is now and what year it will be in a few days.  They both knew it was going to be 2011, so I asked them how to write the number.  Once we all knew how to write 2011, I had them use the white glue to write the number on the card stock.  I had to help R (age 4) with this, but C (age 6) was able to do it on his own. 


Then they covered the glue with the tiny pieces of tissue paper and added glitter glue all over the paper.  This is when I was able to get back to my cleaning and leave them happily creating their art. 




This week we are reading The Night Before New Year's by Natasha Wing.  C and R are big fans of Natasha Wing's books.  In this one, the family is determined to stay awake on New Year's Eve to ring in the new year, but after fun and games and sweets, the little ones are sleepy.

10 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those turned out pretty! Great book choice, too.

Ticia said...

I so need to get more of her books.

MaryAnne said...

I love this New Year's craft - simple, cute, and fun! Maybe even something my kids can do while I unpack... =)

Anonymous said...

They turned out so nice. I bet they look very festive in your home.

danita said...

nice! we have that book too!

phasejumper said...

We are reading that same book this week with our New Year's crafts!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very pretty art! I was thinking of making something for New Year - perhaps we will try this too!

Sherri said...

Fun!
I need to get myself going!

Anonymous said...

oo this turned out super cute! Sammy doesn't like to rip paper either!

Mandy said...

cute! thanks for the book idea. just requested it from the library. might be a little late to read by friday but we are doing "n" next week so it will tie into the "new year"!