Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Trees


Recently, Papa and Grandma came over and brought us a bag of pine cones.  Six of them became Christmas trees.


C and R painted the pine cones green and then sprinkled on glitter.  I'm still cleaning up the glitter, but it's in the play room - not too bad.  I added the Christmas tree pine cones to our Christmas potpourri, and they were the perfect addition to the mix.


I remember making pine cone Christmas trees when I was a kid.  Did you do this too?

A Wish to be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe is a charming story about the power of friendship.  Every year a tall tree waits at the edge of a Christmas tree farm, hoping to be chosen.  When he realizes that he will never be chosen by a family, his forest friends tell him just how special he is to them every day of the year.   This is a wonderful book with a great message and beautiful illustrations. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember making them. I bet that was fun to share with your kids!

Willow said...

These are so cute! What a fun nature craft!

Sherry said...

I also remmber makng them as a kid too! But I have never made them with Lu! They are very cute!

Miller Moments said...

We've never done it, but it's always on my list of things to do. Somehow it always slips through the cracks. This year I have to make sure to get it in!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute Christmas trees. I have this craft on plan, but I was planning to use glitter glue instead of loose glitter - the thought of loose glitter in the house is bound to drive someone crazy :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Arrrrg! That's another book I have on hold, that seems to never be coming in. I think I was too late, choosing our library Christmas books this year!

Brimful Curiosities said...

These would look great in our gingerbread village.

MaryAnne said...

Would you believe, I've never made these! Maybe next year with the kids (or this year, if I find some particularly nice pine cones).

Jenny said...

I don't remember making these trees, cute idea!

That book does sound great and I can tell the illustrations are pretty!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a great idea -- they look so festive!! :-)

phasejumper said...

I gave you an award on my blog today!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love it! We definitely have lots of pinecones and glitter here to use too!! Kerri

Debbie said...

I so miss decorating pine cones. We find tiny ones here not even worth the time picking up. This book sounds good, I will have to look for it.

Ticia said...

The downside of not having easy access to pine cones (aside from buying them) is not being able to do cute crafts like this.

Kylie said...

Pine cone Christmas Trees are the best aren't they!