Thursday, December 30, 2010

Paper Plate Bears

We got the book Chaucer's First Winter by Stephen Krensky from a box of Cheerios cereal.  You probably know that Cheerios has a program called Spoonfuls of Stories and it includes them putting books in the cereal boxes.  I eat a lot of Cheerios (yes, I said "I") so I usually buy the boxes of cereal with all of the different titles to add to our library.


Chaucer's First Winter is about a bear named Chaucer who knows that bears are supposed to sleep through the winter, but he is having so much fun making snowballs and sliding across the ice that he stays awake to enjoy all of the fun that winter brings.  This book is really cute.  We enjoyed the story, and the illustrations are perfectly adorable.  I really like that while Chaucer thinks his parents are asleep in the cave, they are actually watching him from a distance.  This book is a keeper.

C and R made paper plate bears to go along with the book.  First, they each colored a paper plate brown.  I cut circle ears out of brown paper lunch bags for them to tape onto the back of the plates.


They colored the inside of the ears black.  C and R glued on googly eyes.


Then, I trimmed clear plastic containers and filled them with brown paper scraps.  We taped these to the front of the paper plate faces.


C and R glued on button noses and drew mouths with a permanent marker.

Finally, we made each bear a paper scarf by folding a long rectangular piece of paper,



cutting fringe, and adding some decoration with crayon.


The scarves were taped and glued in place.  These bears will be nice and warm through the winter!

We made these bears before bed and R was too tired to pose with her bear!

 I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.

13 comments:

RedTedArt said...

Oh you cute. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the nose and button. How cute is that?

Thank you for linking up :-)

Maggy

Anonymous said...

Cute! I love how you did the nose. Sounds like a cute book.

phasejumper said...

So cute! I would have never thought of using a plastic container for the nose! Thank you for your nice comments on my blog! Happy New Year!

Jennifer said...

Too cute!!

My parents are always sending us the books from their Cheerios boxes!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

What a cute craft! I've never seen a box of Cheerios with a book in it - all I've been getting is cereal. Now I feel cheated :)

Ticia said...

Awwww, how cute that is! My kids have never liked Cheerios so I don't get to get hte books.

Debbie said...

The paper plate bears turned out so cute. We have been able to get one box of Cheerios with a book in it, but now I can't find anymore boxes of cereal with the books.

Unknown said...

The bear's nose MAKES the craft come alive- so fun!

momandkiddo said...

This is very cute. But here's my question, where do you keep all this stuff? Everytime Kiddo has a 3D art project, I have no idea where to store it.

Jenny said...

So cute! I was at the library today and thought of you. I was looking for some winter books.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Very cute! Did not know that about Cheerios! I will need to check it out! Happy New Year! Kerri

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute idea! The bears turned out so well.

Unknown said...

The noses are so cute. I love the way they add a 3-D effect.

Happy New Year!