Friday, December 3, 2010

Homemade Marbled Christmas Cards


The last time C and R played with shaving cream, it was summer time.  I figured they were due for some messy fun so I filled two containers with shaving cream and added red and green food coloring.


They approached it carefully at first, stirring the color into the shaving cream with chopsticks.


We placed card stock on top of their swirly red and green designs to make some pretty marbled paper.


Before I knew it, they had thrown caution to the wind and they were both up to their elbows in shaving cream.


It was nice in the summer when I could turn the sprinkler on and let them run through it.  That wasn't possible in late November Massachusetts weather!!!!!


C and R each made a few sheets of marbled card stock and we placed them to dry.  Once they were dry, we wiped off any shaving cream residue.


The beautiful color and marbled look remained on the paper; they will make great Christmas cards for a few lucky people (I'm thinking teachers)!

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

I haven't gathered up the guts yet to try the shaving cream!

But the paper looks adorable!

Sherry said...

I love this craft, and Lu does too!! cute idea to make cards :)

MaryAnne said...

Very nice!

I think I'll save shaving cream for summer, though. Or maybe let them do it in the tub, followed immediately by a bath!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very brave! I saw someone adding glue to the shaving cream to make puffy paint snowmen - I thought about it, but the Man of the House is on a shaving gel kick right now, so no shaving cream in the house.

Ticia said...

Oooohhhhh, I'll add this to my list of ways to make Christmas cards, maybe we'll try it today.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am yet to try shaving cream crafts. It's great that the kids really got into it. I think Anna school did it a couple of times, but she was not particularly interested in getting so messy.

Charlene Juliani said...

Looks pretty!

Debbie said...

I have so wanted to pull the shaving cream out. Papa has a bit of a complete anxiety attack about that one though.

The Christmas cards are so cute!

momandkiddo said...

I really need to do this craft again, the results are always so great.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

They look beautiful! What a fun before-bath activity!! ;-)

Unknown said...

I love the marbelized paper. We made marbelized salt dough ornaments this week.

Rebecca said...

The red and green food coloring in the shaving cream looks sooo cool!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I'm sure their cards will impress the receivers.

Miller Moments said...

You can always throw them in the shower! :) Very fun activity. Every time I leave your blog I get inspired!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Looks like great fun! Tried it a month ago with Ella and all she wanted to do was wash her hands. I cannot wait for her to want to be messy!! Kerri

Jenny said...

Great idea! We've never done this!