Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Few Christmas Books

I highlighted a few Christmas books in other posts I wrote this week, but we also read these:


God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa Tawn Bergeron is a nice way to explain the true meaning of Christmas.  Little Cub's questions are perfect:  "Who invented Christmas?"  "Is God more important than Santa?".  These questions and the answers from Mama help explain why we celebrate Christmas.

Olive the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh and J. Otto Seibold is about a little dog named Olive that hears "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" on the radio and thinks the lyric is "Olive the other reindeer" instead of "all of the other reindeer".  So, Olive assumes she is a reindeer (not a dog as she previously thought) and heads to the north pole to get to work.  C and R love this book.  It really is cute.

Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner is a great book about how the snowmen celebrate Christmas.  This is a companion to the best selling book, Snowmen at Night, and it is just as wonderful.  C and R love the little snowmen children and snow dogs, and little details like the snowman crossing sign on one page.  The illustrations are beautiful too.  I usually save snowman crafts for the month of January, but this book has me itching to make something soon!

R's favorite book of the week is Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera.  My sister gave us this book a few years ago, but this is the first year that R has been old enough to sit through the whole book.  She has never sat so still for a book!  She loved it.  In this book, the main character, Sophie Kringle, has a glamorous aunt who lives in a penthouse atop Manhattan's Bing Cherry Hotel. Auntie Claus disappears every holiday season on a mysterious business trip and, determined to discover her destination, Sophie stows away and follows her.  Sophie learns a lot on this trip, but most importantly, she learns firsthand that it is better to give than to receive.

What are you reading with your children?  Head on over to the What My Child is Reading linky at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns to find out what others are reading and maybe share some books yourself.

 

8 comments:

Ticia said...

Adding God Gave Us Christmas to my must find list.

We watched the Olive the Other Reindeer movie and it was cute, I'm thinking about finding the book if I can.

I'll have to see how my kids do for Auntie Claus this year.

Miller Moments said...

I love finding new books. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I read Olive, The Other Reindeer this week while I was at the bookstore...it was rather humorous. The other books sound great too. Especially, God Gave Us Christmas.

Brimful Curiosities said...

You've listed some of our favorites. It's fun to try and find the hidden pictures in Snowmen at Christmas. I've never heard of Auntie Claus before.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've never heard about Snowmen at Christmas, or Snowmen at Night - We've got to check those out!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I tried to read Auntie Claus to Anna in the bookstore, but she wasn't interested. Interestingly, she told me yesterday after we read The Polar Express that she doesn't think she believes in Santa, but she does believe in Jesus :)

Jenny said...

God Gave Us Christmas sounds perfect!

We have Auntie Claus, but haven't read it all. Maybe this year Abby will be able to sit though it!

Olive the Other Reindeer is cute too!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Great book recommendations! We love Olive the Other Reindeer too -- Emily thinks it's so funny!