Friday, September 18, 2009

Counting Colors in the Morning


Our routine has been a bit chaotic this week, but we have found a way to have a little consistency each morning. I recently purchased Counting Colors: A Seek and Find Book by Roger Priddy. Every morning, after everyone is dressed and ready to go, C and R pick a page in the book. Each two page layout features a different color. The color word is written across both pages (great way to work on spelling color words) and it is surrounded by many different items of that color. There is a list of things to find, for example: "1 big scaly lizard, 2 tree frogs, 3 farm tractors"; there are ten different items to find in each color. We take turns finding the items, and sometimes we continue looking for items of that color around the house.


This is a great book to use for teaching colors, counting, and sorting. I love that this book can be used in so many ways. The youngest child will enjoy looking for items while older children can add or subtract items from each group and spell the color words. Most importantly, C, R and I are finding time to sit together each morning for a little bit of I Spy book fun.

9 comments:

Ticia said...

What a very cool book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, because mine would love it.

Lynn said...

This is one of our all-time favorites! We bought it when our son was around 1 year old and he loved it then. I'm glad to see it still appeals to kids your age, too. Roger Priddy is a force to be reckoned with.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we love his books! that is a fun book and a fun morning tradition! :)

we have a alphabet game we play every morning (well almost every morning)

we pick a theme: Animals and we take turns saying a animal for that letter so if all of you were playing:

R would say an A animal
C would say a B animal and so on

its fun my oldest started the game when she was around 4 so we can rattle it off fast now :) (since we've done it for 5 years) but it never gets old! and helped my youngest learn the alphabet

We might have to add that fun book to our morning routine!

sorry the post was so long :)

Morgan said...

I bought Counting Colors when my oldest child was a baby. Since then, we've used it with each of our children and they LOVE the pictures in the book! It's a fun way to learn colors and get an early start on "I Spy".

Susana said...

I LOVE Priddy books!! Ours are some of my favorites!

I've never seen this one, but it looks like one I definitely would like to have.

As always, thanks so much for another great book!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This picture of them sitting together is so sweet. I have never seen this book before, even though we have a lot of Priddy books. It surely looks very interesting

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Emily likes to do I Spy books while I make dinner! Works really well. :-)

Mandy said...

oooh that book looks great. h is really into all of those seek and find books. thanks for the heads up!

Lynn said...

Just posted an award for you on our blog...