Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Open ended art - Earth mosaic

We participated in the open ended art project at Growing and Learning by Leaps and Bounds this week. The project is a clay/play doh mosaic. After looking through our play doh drawer, and discovering a plethora of blue and green, I decided that C and R could make Earth mosaics. I cut out circles from cereal boxes, but everything else was done by C and R.


I gave C and R blue and green play doh and they cut the play doh into small pieces.

Then, they placed the pieces where they wanted them on the cardboard circles.




The finished product. They both thought it was funny to hold the planet Earth in their hands.


Finally, we placed them on black construction paper just for the effect of being in space.

This is C's project.

This is R's project.
We also read two books to go along with this project: Me and My Place in Space by Joan Sweeney and Looking Down by Steve Jenkins. Me and My Place in Space is a great introduction to our solar system. Looking Down is a wordless picture book with cut-paper illustrations that depict the many levels of the universe. R was not really interested in the books, but C enjoyed both of them.

Visit Shannon at Growing and Learning by Leaps and Bounds to see more artwork.

17 comments:

FUNdamentals said...

What a wonderful project! And I love the way you read books to tie in with your theme.

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness- too funny!!!

growing and learning by leaps and bounds said...

those are great earths! I love the books too :)

momandkiddo said...

My son is interested in space right now and that Looking Down book sounds great!

Nadia said...

such a great project.. beautiful earth

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

hey! That's cool! What a neat idea! Great books too!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

hey! That's cool! What a neat idea! Great books too!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a great idea! They look awesome!

Ticia said...

I love the "earths." Our play-doh is always dried out because somebody...... always forgets to put the lid on when they're done playing with it.

Mandy said...

Those are great! I've been wanting to find the open ended art blog carnival. Thanks for linking to it!

Debbie said...

I love the way you worked a theme into the project! Both kid's Earths look great!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I love this!!! What a fun project! Emily would love to do this!!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's a great idea! I am not sure if I will do mosaic this week, but I am just motivated to try something like this next time when we get our playdoh out.

Zonnah said...

I love the earths :)

Susana said...

Christy, these are so good! You came up with a great idea for this one!

Love your books to go with it too!

They look like they really enjoyed making their earths.

Bran said...

I LOVE that earth.

Tara Broman said...

Those turned out so cute. Wes is completely into astronauts and space right now, so we will definitely have to do this project.