Monday, September 21, 2009

Silly, Sad, Jealous, Mad


Can you guess what we have been working on at home? Feelings, of course. Why we feel angry or jealous or happy, etc. and how we should behave when our feelings are not positive. One of the books we read is The Way I Feel by Janan Cain. I like that this book addresses feelings that are not typically in books for young children. For example, there are pages devoted to disappointment and frustration. Both of these feelings are common for young children, yet they are often left out of books for this age group.

While reading the book, C and R used their teddy bear emotions puzzles to create a teddy bear with the expression that matched the feeling on the page we were discussing. This was a great way to explore the different emotions.

Stay tuned for more posts on this subject.

12 comments:

Susana said...

I hope they have this at our library. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I LOVE the picture of C in this post too!!

Off to search for this at the library:-).

mommytoalot said...

Stopping by via Orange juice and glad i did. We love that book. I just ordered a few more books on feelings.
Great pictures too.

growing and learning by leaps and bounds said...

cute picture!

love the teddy bear puzzles! :)

Ticia said...

I think I'm going to have to search that one out. We're studying all about us in the next few weeks.

Karen Wilson said...

"How Are You Peeling" is a cute book about feelings.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This book sounds very interesting. I'll make sure to see if our library has it. But I am curious - how do you teach your children appropriate ways to deal with their feelings?

Michelle said...

What a great book...I'll be checking my library for it!

Christy Killoran said...

Raising a Happy Child: We do a lot of role playing. Also, with some of the books we read, we talked about how the characters acted and whether their actions were positive or negative.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I love feelings books. I am going to look for that!

Kirsten said...

We have that book, and another great one (I like it even better), called "Today I Feel Silly - and other Moods that Make my Day") by Jamie Lee Curtis. Check it out! :)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

We did a lot of emotion-type projects while Emily was enrolled in a drama workshop. She loved acting out all the different emotions. I've never seen that teddy bear set, but it looks adorable! Very cute!

Adriana said...

Where did you find the teddy bear puzzle? Very cute!