Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Hampshire Pumpkin



The pumpkin is the official state fruit of New Hampshire, our current state of study for the fifty states project. R made this simple pumpkin craft.

Directions:
  1. Stuff a paper lunch bag with crumpled newspaper
  2. Wrap a rubber band around the top to create a stem
  3. Paint the stem green and the body of the pumpkin orange (as you can see, R got tired of painting so there are quite a few blank spots)
This craft is perfect for the season, and I would love to tell you that I planned it this way but I just happened to luck out.

If you are wondering where C's pumpkin is, he decided that he is not painting anymore because it is too messy. I am hoping he changes his mind, but I can't say that I am optimistic because he will not use glue or eat maple syrup simply because of the sticky factor.

6 comments:

Susana said...

Well, R's pumpkin is adorable, and so is she holding it!

The maple syrup remark is very funny--to me, I know it isn't for you at home:-).

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We made a whale in exactly same way, except it was a blue paper bag with eyes :) I am sorry that C is in "no paint" phase. Maybe some sort of no-spill brushes (I saw something like this from Crayola) will make him reconsider?

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what cute pumpkins! we love making those

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Awww.. your kiddos are so cute! I can't believe R got tired of painting. I didn't know that could happen! Emily can't get enough of it. She doesn't like messy projects either, but she's perfectly happy wearing a smock or doing messy projects outside. R's pumpkin looks so adorable!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I love this! saving to do for halloween!
C is SOOOOOO funny! I can't get over it.

Christie said...

So cute! I remember making one of these pumpkins when I was in elementary school way back in the day.