Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lunch Box Stories

C is attending full day Kindergarten and since he is gone all day, I came up with something to make him smile each day. It also gives him something special to look forward to at the end of his school day. Every morning, I tape a different picture in his lunch box. He doesn't see the picture until he opens his lunch box at school. When he comes home, we sit together and make up a story about the picture. He looks forward to this time, and I enjoy knowing that he may be smiling at lunch thinking about the story we will share.

Currently, I am using eeBoo story cards for the pictures in his lunch. I will definitely mix it up though. The picture may be something cut from a magazine, a drawing by me (HA!), a photograph, or simple clip art. Anything will work for this project. My goal is to get C more and more involved in the storytelling and write our stories in a book.

Your child doesn't have to go to school or use a lunch box for this activity. Try leaving a picture in the same place each day: next to his breakfast plate or on her pillow. Storytelling is a great way to create memories together.

12 comments:

Susana said...

I love this post! I've never seen the eBoo cards you mentioned--thanks for the link!

Lynn said...

brilliant!

Miller Moments said...

That is a great idea. I use to teach full day kindergarten and sometimes lunch (in the beginning of the year) was a tough time for kids. Now your kiddo has something to look forward to at lunch and after school. I love your suggestions on how to do this at home too.

Sherry Gann said...

neat idea! :)

Laura said...

That's a great idea! Where do you come up with them?! You just amaze me with all the wonderful things that you do with your children--just plain brilliant--as another commenter stated.

Christie said...

What a cute and creative idea! I love how it gets their imagination rolling.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

that is such a neat idea!! & eebo has some neat stuff like that.
How fun that he loves to do that with you. you should share a story sometime.

Cindy said...

You could even use old cards you have had sent to you or you could pick up some cheap ones from the $ store and after you are done wih your story you could send them out to family and friends. I love pen pals. Too many people just email and text.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is an awesome idea. Anna is getting better and better in creating her own stories, and she loves to watch me writing them down. Maybe we can make it a ritual that will span the years

Ticia said...

Super fun idea. I love it.

Tara Broman said...

Love this idea and the cards. I have always put notes in my children's lunchboxes, but I never thought about pictures. Super fun!

aly in Va said...

sweet idea. Right now I use an index card and write up a fancy Menu on it. On the back I place some stickers and a little message related to the sticker on it. I like the idea of the card- I worry about it coming back soiled/destroyed though...have you "lost" any?