Friday, September 4, 2009

Flat Stanley


C is participating in a Flat Stanley project hosted by Gabby at The Work of Childhood. I have wanted to do something like this for a while because it is a great way to learn about geography, and it is FUN!

If you are not familiar with the book Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown, it is about a boy named Stanley Lambchop who was flattened by a bulletin board one night while he slept. Because Stanley is flat, he is able to travel via brown paper envelope. Stanley has many travel adventures in follow up books and C is a big fan of his adventures.


The Flat Stanley Project is popular with school teachers interested in providing their students with writing opportunities and geography lessons. You can read more about the origin of the Flat Stanley project by clicking here.

Each participant in the project that C is participating in creates a Flat Stanley and sends him to a host location. Stanley's visit will be documented and shared via email or blog, and Stanley will stay in each place for approximately one week before he is given a new travel destination.

I printed the Flat Stanley template and gave it to C for decorating. He knew immediately that he wanted Stanley to be a pirate, so we gave him a pirate hat and a parrot. I laminated him to keep him safe during his travels. He is currently on his way to Alaska to meet a girl named Lauryn and her family. We will be mapping Stanley's travels and reading a little about each state or country he visits.

C enjoyed spending some time with him while he was here. Actually, C was not happy about sending Stanley away but I think he will feel better once our visiting Stanley arrives.

Here are a few photos of Stanley's adventures before he left:



We had Muffin Tin Monday a little early so that we could enjoy it with Stanley. Look for him in my post on Monday.

Have a safe trip, Stanley! We hope to hear all about your travels.

11 comments:

Susana said...

That pirate hat is awesome! He did such a super job with his Stanley--what a great idea to include him in MTM too! We might have to copy you on that one, but I'll credit you:-).

His Stanley is really impressive!

Jenny said...

What a cute Stanley! I love that he's a pirate.

Ticia said...

Love the pirate hat, super duper cute.

danita said...

my penpal did this with her class in england, where f.s. is still "new." he came here to america first and we had so much fun taking him everywhere and snapping his pic!

Miller Moments said...

I'm so excited that your posted reminded me of the Flat Stanley books! I'm so excited to get those out for my boys. Love the Pirate look too!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Fun! I love how you do so many great activities with book themes... so creative!!

Gabriele said...

Oh I LOVE it!! L insisted that his Stanley had to be a train conductor, so I had to find a conductor hat and accessories for him! I am LOVING the pirate gear!! SO so cute!!!

Mandy said...

oh my gosh, soooo cute! i have heard of flat stanley but don't know a lot about him. i have a feeling though that it would be right up our alley... me being an ex-pen pal aholic and my son being literally obsessed with the mail. is it too late to join in on the fun!?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great Stanley! I didn't participate this year - too early for Anna, but I hope for repeat next year when Anna is hopefully better able to appreciate sending and receiving mail. I hope your Stanley will have a lot of fun and comes back home safe and sound.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

that's so cool! I really wanted to join the flat stanley project @ WOC its such a great idea but I wasn't sure about how well Z would do w it as far as understanding and I didn't fully understabd what it was until now.
You did such a fun job! I look forward to reading peoples flat stanley adventures & seeing him on Monday will ur MTM :)

Crazy in Alaska said...

Can't wait to show Stanley around! Love love love the pirate hat, Lauryn loves pirates so much that she had a pirate-themed birthday party last year!