Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Owls

Owls are incredibly interesting, in my opinion. Every fall, I have intentions of going to the raptor show at our local Audubon society but it never seems to happen. We missed it again this year. Maybe next year.

We are having fun learning about owls this week. In addition to learning about their diet, habitat, and anatomy, C and R enjoyed reading a few fiction books and making an owl craft.


Good Night Owl! by Pat Hutchins is a cute book about an owl who cannot sleep one day because of all the noise around him - bees buzzing, crows croaking, etc. I love the 1970s illustrations!

The Sleepy Owl by Marcus Pfister is about an owl who oversleeps and sets off in search of someone to play with. She makes a new friend who helps her find playmates.

Our favorite owl book is Owl Babies by Martin Waddell. It is the sweetest book about three baby owls who wake up to find their mother gone. Will she come back? The little owls are anxious and miss their mother. This is a great book to read if your child is experiencing separation anxiety.


I found this owl craft at Kids Craft Weekly. It was very easy.
  1. Glue mini cupcake liners onto the flap of a brown paper lunch bag for eyes, and use a marker to color pupils in the middle.
  2. Draw a triangle beak on the flap of the bag.
  3. Cut strips of paper in different colors to fit across the front of the bag as feathers. Then cut them like fringe and glue in place. We used tissue paper, but you could use construction paper. I discovered that you have to start gluing the strips at the bottom and work your way up to create the layered look.
You could make three owl baby puppets and a mommy owl puppet and retell the story of Owl Babies. How fun would that be? The story is perfect for this type of play.

This was fun. If you have any owl books or crafts that you love, please leave me a comment.

16 comments:

Susana said...

We love Owl Babies, but have never read the others.

I love your owl craft too. I am bookmarking this craft and these books so that we can do this when we study the letter "Oo" in a few weeks:-).

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we love owls even when he wakes me up and keeps me up all night hooting and in the tree right by my window! :) he is really pretty!

LOVE your owls! and some great books too!

Annette W. said...

I just saw that craft yesterday and plan to do it! We've read Owl Babies, too and love it. Thanks for sharing...I have a thing for owls. :)

Cindy said...

Check this craft out that was just posted. http://www.preschoolplaybook.com/2009/09/handprint-hoot-owl.html

Also, have you ever thought about ordering owl pellets. They are so cool. When I taught 7th gr life science my students loved dissecting them and trying to reassemble the skeletons.

momandkiddo said...

I remember Good-night Owl from when I was a kid. Have I dated myself?

Miller Moments said...

I love this! Very cute owl. And I can't wait to try and find the books.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Your book recommendations are always so cool. We'll be looking for those.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

those turned out really cool!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

OH I saw an howl craft from a pine cone before and also from pom poms

Mandy said...

I can't help myself... "The owls are not what they seem". Now, I've gotten my random "Twin Peaks" quote out of my system.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

How fun! In an amazing coincidence, I am wearing a shirt with an owl on it. :-) What great activities!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Thanks for reminding me of Goodnight, Owl! We love that book but don't own it. I took M to the library and we got it today. It's definitely a favorite for this time of year.

Chels said...

Yes, owls are fascinating! I found an adorable owl comic/graphic novel book this summer:
http://fantasticfind.blogspot.com/2009/09/owly-by-andy-runton.html
My daughter (6) and I are in love after one book and can't wait to "read" all of the books.

I love your blog. I like your book reviews and would love for you to link to my new monthly post, Bookworm Beginnings, on my blog:
http://fantasticfind.blogspot.com/2009/09/owly-by-andy-runton.html
Sharing is fun and wonderful!
Chels

Mama King said...

Your owl came out so cute!!!

Debra said...

Great idea.......I love owls and little ones who say Whoo Whoo!

Another book you might like for owls is a new release called A Book of Sleep......it's about the ways animals sleep at night....very different ways and how the owl is watchful and awake!

I reviewed it here http://afrugalfriend.blogspot.com/2009/10/fiction-friday-princess-and-fairy-book.html

Miller Moments said...

Got the books. We love them. Thanks for the great recommendations.