Saturday, September 26, 2009

Happy 235th Birthday

Today is the anniversary of Johnny Appleseed's birth. He was born John Chapman in Leominster, MA, and was an American pioneer. He had a vision to plant apple saplings and seeds across the country so that no one would be hungry as they settled the West. He traveled for nearly fifty years, planting seeds and caring for the trees. He became a legend. Today, we will read his story to celebrate his legacy.

R and I made this super cute and super easy apple necklace in honor of Johnny Appleseed.

I super glued two leaves that I cut out of green foam on top of a red pom pom. I then super glued a green pony bead on top of the leaves. The bead is the stem of the apple.

Finally, thread some ribbon through the bead and proudly wear your new apple necklace!

Did you know that some of the trees that Johnny Appleseed planted are still producing apples?
I found all of these facts in The Teacher's Calendar Almanac.

7 comments:

Susana said...

You know the most interesting things!

I love the necklace R made. She looks adorable wearing it, and very proud too:-).

Gidget Girl Reading said...

wow and i thought I was old this year :)

cute apple necklace!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I LOVE THAT! I'm going to save that for another craft! cool!

Morgan said...

I wonder which trees those would be.

We went apple picking today and saw a sign with information about Johny Appleseed. My oldest son was excited when I told him today was Johny's birthday! Thanks for passing that along!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a cute little apple necklace! Emily would love this!!! What a fun idea!

Jenny said...

What a cute necklace!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Until I had my own kid I always thought that Johnny Appleseed is a folklore character :) Thanks for sharing those tidbits.