Monday, September 28, 2009

Just a Mommy

A while ago I read an article about a woman who hated the fact that her children saw her as "just a mommy". She wanted them to see her as something more than that. I understand where she is coming from, but I am content with my children seeing me as "just a mommy". When people criticize me for going above and beyond for my children, for teaching my children, for hugging them when they cry, for giving them all of the energy I have, for making three different dinners at one mealtime, for checking on them in the middle of the night, for letting them sleep with me when they are afraid, for tying their shoes, for worrying about little things, for crying when they head off to school........I take it as a compliment.

I have had titles. I can place the word Esquire at the end of my name. I have a license to practice law. Do you think my children care about that? No. They care that I am the person who rocked them to sleep, watched their first steps, heard their first words. They take comfort in the fact that I watch their soccer games and read them bedtime stories.

My oldest child is twelve. It all happened so fast. There are no second chances or do overs. I am not claiming to be the best mommy, or even a great mommy, I simply want to be the best mommy I can be and I strive to be a better mommy every single day. So, if my children see me as "just a mommy," I will smile and proudly claim the title.

17 comments:

Susana said...

Christy, I LOVE this. These are all of my thoughts exactly. I could have written this--except, I have no "titles" to go with mommy:-). I am just a mommy, and that is a-OK.

Thank you so much for posting this. I enjoyed reading it and agree 100%.

You are awesome!

Sherry Gann said...

~~applause~~ :D

momandkiddo said...

So true, but sometimes, in order to justify all of my student loans I think my kids should call me "Dr. Mommy." LOL

Cindy said...

Love it. Being a Mommy IS the best job in the world. Think of the ideals you are instilling in your children. Family comes first. They are going to grow up to be great parents.

Valerie said...

Here, here!

I have not regrets stepping away from a career in education to "just be" a mommy! And while, I loved all the experiences I had in the political arena and then classroom, my only regret is that I didn't step out sooner!

Terrific post, mom!

Laura said...

Hear, hear!
I've had several jobs before becoming a mommy but being mommy to my girls is my favorite one yet!

Annette W. said...

Thank you! I too often think about others...and yet satisfied where I am and what I do...just mommy.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Even though I am a working mom, I enjoyed this post. I don't think anything is more important to me than my child, and I make sure she knows that.

Lynn said...

Well said. I keep forgetting you're a lawyer (me too). I was always really proud of the fact that my mother worked outside the home, and thought that I would definitely keep working when I had children. But now that I'm home with him, I can't imagine a more important role.

Lynn said...

PS I'll say that one thing that struck me right away when I started to meet other moms at museums and in playgroups and other children's events, is how the standard questions became "how old is he? what's his name? how does he sleep?" etc. I could talk to a woman for an hour, and possibly not even exchange names, let alone ask each other about where we grew up, went to college, what our job was before motherhood. I did find that a little sad, that we didn't take the time to get to know each other. In that sense, morphing into "just mom" was a shock to me. But in my son's eyes, I'm happy to be that. If that makes sense.

Michelle said...

Well said :0)

Emily was suprised to find out that I am/was a teacher to other children before her. It was very cute!

Unknown said...

I totally agree! Being a good parent is THE most important job you will ever have!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

that is beautiful, encouraging and so so true!! thank you for that. it made my day.

that comment about dr mommy was funny.

abc said...

Very well put. From my vantage point you seem to be very good at being "just a mommy".

Stephanie said...

So well said...we only get one shot at being the best Mommy we canbe!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Perfectly said - thank you! I have tears in my eyes now. Gosh, I wish people would not criticize mothers; I struggle with that a lot (my in-laws in particular make hurtful comments) - for doing a lot of the things you mention. I'm going to try to start thinking of it as a compliment. Thank you so much!!!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

It really is the hardest job on Earth. I absolutely agree.. the time with them is so short. I love how you treasure this time with them!