Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Sleepy Little Alphabet

Have you seen this book yet? We were lucky to be the first family to check it out from our public library, just minutes after it was placed on the shelf.

The Sleepy Little Alphabet by Judy Sierra and Melissa Sweet takes place at bedtime in Alphabet Town. The little letters are getting ready for bed and each one of the twenty-six lowercase letters has something to do before being tucked in by uppercase Mom or Dad.

There are so many great things to say about this book. First of all, each of the lowercase letters has an object that starts with that letter. For example, the "a" is playing an accordion and the "b" is riding a bicycle. Second, the book is a quick read so when your child asks you to read it again and again at bedtime, you won't mind so much. I also like that the book reads in a song-like, chantable (that is not a real word, I know) fashion, very similar to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. C and R both enjoyed this book and worked together to find all of the alphabet related items on each page.

If you are looking for a great bedtime story that also teaches the alphabet, this is the book for you. I definitely recommend it.

*This review is my own personal opinion and, unfortunately, no one is paying me to pass this information along to you!

9 comments:

Susana said...

Another great book from you:-). I've never heard of this one either, but will have to look for it at our library.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we checked it out last week my LO didn't like it :( I thought it was cute!

The Activity Mom said...

Sounds like something B would like. I'll have to check it out!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Interesting! Anna doesn't care much for "sleepy books" at the moment, but I will still try it out if I see it in the library.

Lynn said...

Thank you -- definitely going on our list to read!!

Denise said...

I love your book recommendations. I'm going to request this one from my library!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Ha! I like your disclaimer! What a neat book.. I'll be checking it out as soon as it arrives at our library too. Emily's a big Chicka Chicka Boom Boom fan, so she'll probably love this one too!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

OH! I MUST MUST MUST find this!

MaryAnne said...

This book sounds adorable, I'll have to see if our library has it.