Monday, October 12, 2009

Drawing


C has been drawing a lot lately. Last Friday, he started drawing just after 3:00 and only stopped to eat and sleep. He has a few sketchbooks that he likes to draw in, but he also has a pretty cool coloring/drawing book that he really enjoys. What kind of blogger would I be if I didn't tell you about this cool book?


The book is titled, Scribbles: A Really Giant Drawing and Coloring Book by Taro Gomi. The difference between this book and a typical coloring book is that the pictures on the pages are just the beginning. They are designed to spur creative thinking. One page has a drawing of a tree and instructs the artist to fill it with leaves. There are pages with shapes drawn on them, and the artist is supposed to create something out of the shapes. The book has over 300 pages, so I could go on and on with these examples. C loves this book. He has filled more than half of the pages with his art.

(The directions on this page instruct the artist to draw fireworks.)

If you have a child that is always asking you what he or she should draw, this book will solve that problem. The only problem with this book is that a pre-reader will have to ask you what he or she is supposed to do on each page. This doesn't bother me, but if you want your child to be entertained while you are busy, this may not be the right book.

13 comments:

danita said...

love this book! we have a couple like it, but not actually this one!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

I have seen that it looks cool! looks like he loves it! :)

Susana said...

This book looks AWESOME!! Ordering it today for Joe:-).

Thanks for sharing it, and I am glad C is having so much fun drawing too!

Julie said...

Thank you for this recommendation! My C has really gotten into drawing since he turned 5. I'm going to get this for him. I think he'd love it!

Denise said...

I love books like this. I bought a similar book to give to Julia for Christmas. I think it's called Oodles of Doodles.

Ticia said...

I love books like those. My guys aren't quite ready for them, but we're getting closer every day.

Rebecca said...

Thats great he is so into drawing!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is quite a dedication to drawing - obviously it lacks the messiness of painting :) I am hoping to remember this book... a couple of years from now :)

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Sounds like an awesome book! I will have to keep it mind! Thanks for sharing!!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

OOOOO that could make a great present! thanks for being an awesome blogger & sharing that. LOL :)

Karen Wilson said...

I just saw that book, and some others like it, at Barnes & Noble the other day. I kind of wanted it myself. :)

Mandy said...

i know that this book would be a huge hit here at my house!

Susana said...

Joe still really enjoys this book!