Sunday, October 25, 2009

Halloween Cookie Cutters

We have not made Halloween sugar cookies with our pumpkin, bat, and ghost cookie cutters this year, but we have put the cookie cutters to good use.


C places the cookie cutters on paper and traces around them. Then he fills in the details to create his Halloween masterpiece. He loves to draw, and the cookie cutters help him add cool details to his art.


This work is great for developing hand strength, concentration, fine motor skills, and control of a pencil/writing utensil.

Most importantly, C thinks this is a lot of fun!

*I recently saw this activity posted at My Montessori Journey.

9 comments:

Susana said...

This is such a good idea. I never thought of this, but I do believe we will be doing this maybe even today.

Thanks for such a great idea!

The Activity Mom said...

This activity looks like so much fun!
I gave your blog an award. =)
http://activitymom.blogspot.com/2009/10/award-7-things-you-might-not-know-about.html

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is a great fun learning tool! Cookie Cutters are so useful for so many things! :)

I love his finished picture! :)

Looks like he had alot f fun!

Cindy said...

This looks like so much fun. I never thought of it and we have so many cookie cutters. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

These are so neat - what a great idea to use the cookie cutters in drawings!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

ok so flippin COOOOL!!! I never would have thought to use that for that activity!!! so cool! S is too young but I'm gonna file this away for later!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great idea, and I love how beautifully his drawing turned out! C looks so proud of his work!! Way to go!

Mandy said...

That does look like fun! I have some cookie cutters and now I know what to do with them!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I really like C's drawings - they are so rich in detail. It's a good idea to simplify life for him with cookie cutter shapes. I tried stencil drawings with Anna too, but she wasn't interested yet.