Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Eric Carle and Mermaid Theatre

We love Eric Carle books. He is an amazing writer and illustrator. This past weekend, we enjoyed watching The Very Hungry Caterpillar,
Little Cloud, and The Mixed-up Chameleon retold on stage in black light. The show we saw was put together by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia. C and R LOVED every minute of the show, and I was pretty impressed with it myself. They retold the stories exactly, the show was the perfect length (about one hour) for my children, and they held a brief Q&A after the show to let the kids see how things were done.

Visit their website and look around. They retell some of our favorite books on stage, and I hope we have the opportunity to see more of their work. I am especially excited about the Leo Lionni productions, even though there is no touring schedule for that production right now.

The good news is that the Eric Carle production is touring the United States right now, and you really want to see this show. Click here for a link to the touring schedule. If you go, please let me know what you think.

By the way, no one is paying me (and I did not get free tickets) for this review. (Sigh...) We just loved this show. It was by far the best stage show (outside of Disney World) that my children have seen. I know you will love it too!

9 comments:

Karin Katherine said...

WE just love Mermaid Theatre too. We see them every year! Truly great show!

Annette W. said...

I sent the link to my cousin. It's only an hour from my hometown...showing TONIGHT! If the timing were different, I'd love to see it!

So glad you all had fun!

Susana said...

I'm glad you all loved this so much! Thanks for sharing all of this info about it. I really hope we are able to too!

Ticia said...

What an awesome treat to go to! I'll have to see if they're coming near us. We're big Eric Carle fans too.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

my oldest saw one of those shows (not sure if its the same company) in kindergarten and loved it!

Mandy said...

i so want to go to the nashville production but it's not baby-friendly.

Jenny said...

That must have been a lot of fun!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

you're so funny that you always add that you are not being compensated.

Thanks for sharing I will look it up. Doubting it will be in my area though...

BTW are you a vegetarian?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Too bad that they are not coming over, but our area is pretty lucky - a lot of different production for kids - some are free and some are paid. This one sounds wonderful though - it's great that you could make it.